Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New CP77 owner

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Terry McKitrick
honda305.com Member

New CP77 owner

Post by Terry McKitrick » Fri May 12, 2006 9:20 pm

I just purchased a 1966 CP77. Serial numbers are in my signature. I think they mean that this is either the 74th or 77th bike in that series? All the pieces, with the exception of the headlight bucket and speedo/tach and related cables are there. I do have the headlight and ring. The bike is filthy, and I will need to replace all the wiring. It does run and has all four gears. There is evidence of oil leaking from the bottom of the engine.

I intend to restore the bike, not necessarily to it's showroom or concours condition, but at least repainted and rebuilt to look good and run well. The only other example of the CP77 I have seen is in a museum in Edmonton. I have started a web site with pictures of the loverly museum example, and my sorry mess. Visit members.shaw.ca/terrymckitrick to see them. I will update the site as the project continues. Are there any other sites I can go to for pictures?

Here are my first few (of many) questions to the group.
I do not like the color of the museum bike. Were they all this color? Can I make it shiny blue, black or red and chrome things that weren't chromed without seriously affecting resale value or "the purists".

I think that most parts are interchangable with CB or CA77's. Correct?

I have been lurking around Ebay, and there appear to be numerous sources of things I will need, with the notable exception of wiring. Is there a good source for this?

Best regards,

Terry McKitrick
Terry McKitrick
CP1000077, CP77E1000074
St. Albert, Alberta Canada

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: New CP77 owner

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat May 13, 2006 10:09 am

I see you have a lot to replace.
I didn't see any engine or frame numbers so I can't tell ya much as to the actual year and production.
Most of the parts ya need are offered at times on eBay.
As you make the bike more custom you CAN effect it's value.
I made a 1967 CL77 custom with lots of chrome and I lost my $$$$$$$$.
That's not much of a museum piece and there are parts on it that came out later than 63 so I question it's actual year of production. ............lm[

ote="Terry McKitrick"]I just purchased a 1966 CP77. Serial numbers are in my signature. I think they mean that this is either the 74th or 77th bike in that series? All the pieces, with the exception of the headlight bucket and speedo/tach and related cables are there. I do have the headlight and ring. The bike is filthy, and I will need to replace all the wiring. It does run and has all four gears. There is evidence of oil leaking from the bottom of the engine.

I intend to restore the bike, not necessarily to it's showroom or concours condition, but at least repainted and rebuilt to look good and run well. The only other example of the CP77 I have seen is in a museum in Edmonton. I have started a web site with pictures of the loverly museum example, and my sorry mess. Visit members.shaw.ca/terrymckitrick to see them. I will update the site as the project continues. Are there any other sites I can go to for pictures?

Here are my first few (of many) questions to the group.
I do not like the color of the museum bike. Were they all this color? Can I make it shiny blue, black or red and chrome things that weren't chromed without seriously affecting resale value or "the purists".

I think that most parts are interchangable with CB or CA77's. Correct?

I have been lurking around Ebay, and there appear to be numerous sources of things I will need, with the notable exception of wiring. Is there a good source for this?

Best regards,

Terry McKitrick[/quote]

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:42 pm

I had a CP77 roller about 10 years ago that was in original Honda blue. They don't all have to be white.

As for origin, my understanding is that Superhawks were selling really well, police bike not at all, so Honda unpolicified CP's to sell them as Superhawks.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home