Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

An interesting comparison.

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

An interesting comparison.

Post by MBellRacing » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:10 am

I was flipping through some photos from earlier this year when I bought my fairly rare 1994 Honda RVF400. When I first got both bikes home, it's interesting to see the similarities and differences this many years had made on the same company's motorcycles. The RVF is considered a very light bike for it's era. Despite this, it still weighs 50lbs heavier dry than the old Superhawk. Yes it has radiators and two exta cylinders, but it's interesting to see that even with all that aluminum and fiberglass, it still gained weight! Horsepower is interesting too when you look at it. These CB77's make between 28-30 hp. I've heard people boasting 32-35hp on well tuned carbs and electronic ignition. That's a max of about 115hp/L on an old twin. The RVF400 stock makes about 54hp and mine makes 63hp. That's a max of 158hp/L. Big number for a tiny carbureted motor, but still, it is really impressive that Honda achieved WELL over 100hp/L in the 1960s and only tiptoed up that scale into the modern bike age!

Anyway, just an interesting though to see how the best selling motorcycle company in the world has changed and stayed the same. I think the important thing to remember is that the little CB77 Superhawk, despite being often overlooked, really started it all for Honda in the performance bracket.

Sound comparison, the difference between 1962 305cc twin and a 1994 400cc V4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p38j1-eCOEg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOrqU_rGgkE

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home