Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Electronic Fuel Injected CB77

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 am

No work on the plate yet, but I did get a few quick things done.

I made a mounting plate for the Koso digital dash. It's a bit ugly, but functional-- not unlike the rider of this bike... It was painted before I left the shop, but I didn't get any pictures of it yet. I rushed out to go work on the LED headlight. Progress on that can be seen elsewhere on this forum. Moral of that story: It is easily 3x as bright and uses only 12W of energy.

Bob really came through with some fun parts. He gave me a "C" sized shift rod and a replica CYB shifter. The fun one, though, was the steering damper and mount. Neither are real clean, but the rubber and finish are decent enough to get tidied enough for this build. Will look amazing! I also got a cool little parts catalog in the mail that shows both the police parts as well as the Race Kit with detailed diagrams of their construction and mounting. Could come in handy!

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:53 pm

How 'bout getting that racing parts book scanned and posting. Shane Rivet would post it on his site for others to download for free.

Just a thought. I know I'd love to look thru it.

regards,
Rob

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:12 am

Snake, I definitely will! It's pretty useful in figuring out how all this stuff is supposed to mount up!

Today I got the LED light finished up about 99%. More on that elsewhere on Honda305. I also got around to mounting the painted dash plate and gasket and mocking up the bars to try and guess how much wiring I need. They look pretty good! After seeing them with the grips and levers on I think I will go ahead and chrome them... yes, I know I have two different grips on. I had to scrounge and find a spare set-- they're both throttle side so the left doesn't get stuck to the bar. Unfortunately, in the process of swapping levers, the old aluminum clutch lever mount broke!!! I'll have to try and see if Bob has any spares sitting around tomorrow.

Speaking of Bob and spares, I cleaned up and straightened the steering dampener. I love it. It came apart down to the dust seals pretty effortlessly and cleaned up well. A couple well placed whacks with a mallet and it was straight enough to feel the bubbles in the fluid. I also found some pictures online of how it is supposed to mount to at least the CR93 and all I need is an extended engine mount bolt. Easy? No. But much better than making a bracket! If there's a better way, please chime in!!!

Photos:

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 am

The front engine mount bolt is available, but not cheap. I know that Nick Fetzer/Ohio Cycle has them (that's where I got mine), so they're not impossible to find, but be prepared to pay.

This one went for super-cheap a little while ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CB ... 500wt_1182

You'll also need to make the bolt that goes into the threaded hole in the lower triple tree (that part is not available separately). It 'should' look like a headless bolt that's threaded at both ends (and not in the middle where the damper itself would sit), and at the bottom end it has a little hole drilled in it to accommodate a castle nut and a cotter pin. But I'm sure you could likely do it other ways that might be simpler, yet still effective.

Other things you'll need for that steering damper are all the rubber washers and the metal collars that go inside those mounting holes. Nick should have all of that.

Mine was pretty well in the condition of yours when I got it, but I had it dismantled and sent it off to Ronnie Brown to get chromed.....sure makes a big difference in its looks, that's for sure.

Have a look at my thread and you'll might get a better idea of how it goes....

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:18 pm

THANKS, VINCE!!!

Putting in the order tomorrow. $75, sheesh! Totally worth it though. I talked to Bob about how it feels and he said it sounds like the damper "works as well as it ever did... Which isn't very well". People rebuild them to make them glassy smooth, but he said most of the racers tried them and took them off, or dropped the bike, bent the damper, and never bothered to put them back on.

I don't care, I like it.

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 am

Not much time for work, did get some errands done. I went to Fry's Electronics and picked up a fuse bracket and a 10K ohm trim potentiometer to mount on the headlight for better packaging and to tune the brightness of the LED lowbeam. That was easy. What was honestly easier was dropping off my bars and headpipes with my friend Christian Miller at 034 Motorsports. In just an hour he welded up the bars and cut the hole and welded the bung for an O2 sensor in each headpipe. The work is pretty good and honestly added some nice color to the pipes and bars. This is good because I feel I will not chrome any parts on the bike until after I get it running, as to consolidate the order and do multiple items all at once. Here are the photos:

P.S.

How awesome are the iPhone 4S pictures?!?

P.P.S.

...a tangent one. Just saw this. Shameless plug, but this just got me excited about this year, even though it's from last year. I know these vehicles have four wheels, but if this doesn't get your blood moving at least a little bit, you should check your pulse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwIy_4fW ... r_embedded

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Awesome pics and even more awesome welding! I love looking at ingenious custom builds. I'm looking forward to seeing how well your project turns out.

Pretty impressed with my iPhone 4S too. Hardly bother taking my 'real' camera(s) with me now.

Keep posting!

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home