Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Electronic Fuel Injected CB77

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Try this, or one like it for your gas cap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-HONDA-CT12 ... es&vxp=mtr

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up. If, for some reason, the next cap goes wrong I'll look into that. It is essentially what I'm doing anyway. I might even put it on a 90-degree fitting so it doesn't stick up so high, if I can find one locally. All I did wrong last time was drill too far and bend the little tank-grabber-thing. I'll avoid that mistake this time around!

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:43 am

First couple days back home and a couple good days of work on the bike. Firstly, I got around to making the exhaust system. Took my megaphone hot rod header mufflers and welded a straight tube to the front of each of them, ensuring best I could that they were coaxial. I then cut a slit down the two tubes to expand them, then hit them with some paint after knocking some rust off. Unfortunately, it seems the paint did not stick in one spot and it'll need a touchup. Overall, not a bad look!

The next step, while the "mufflers" dry, was to wrap the head pipes. I used a DEI Titanium wrap that apparently has something to do with volcanoes. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, all I know is that they look friggin' awesome. The material is sort of a shimmering bronze-gray. It looks pretty awesome-- if only my wrap job was better! It was a bit tricky finding a way to cover the head pipe as much as possible while avoiding the O2 sensor, but I'm not displeased with the finished job.

I did get the gas cap all sorted as well today. It wasn't too bad, I just took my time with the drill bit sizes and made use of some epoxy to seal the deal. The clear tube comes up from a t-union with fuel pressure regulator and a second fuel pump inlet. The excess fuel pressure will be diverted from the injector and sent up through the hose to trickle back into the top of the tank. Easy, and looks like some high-tech vented gas cap.

I received the proper hardware for the VR sensor plate, so I got that mounted up. With it I can get the sensor head nice and close to the wheel without worrying about wobble or vibration causing impact between the two. My only concern is how the hell I'm going to make a cover that will fit over all of that! I'll probably have to go the expensive route and have something either CNC machined or, more likely, I'll have something 3D printed and make a casting in either aluminum or some heat resistant plastic.

Finally, I decided to begin with the main wiring harness. I didn't get very far before I called it quits, but at least I pulled the trigger on getting some of it done. Hopefully now that the ball is rolling it will be a mostly quick and easy job.

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Good news! Ugly Option (that's her name, by the way... long story) officially can idle all on it's own! I spent the last 2-3 days wiring up everything, debugging it all, and then finally today, I started it. It didn't fire right away. I had to open up the idle air screws a bit and add about 30% more fuel to start than Ecotrons assumed in the base map. Once it was set, it fired right up and idled like a Harley! Seriously, I could never get an idle like that with the old carbs, at least not consistently!

I still don't have the throttle cables so I have to balance them by hand, but as soon as I get those in I'll start tuning above idle. Enjoy the below video-- before the exhaust hits my phone with an epic kill shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_bR6SK17gI

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Congratulations Matt! Cable should be there by tomorrow.

Davo

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:24 am

I know I'm late to the party, but good lord is this cool. Great work. Can't wait for the next update!

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks! Sorry there has been a huge lack of updates, but for the most part, not much to update on. Once the race season kicked off, I found it very difficult to play much with the Super Duper Hawk.

Last thing I did was try to get the tuning working. It seems VR sensor that is supposed to measure RPM and clock TDC isn't working properly. My guess is that the magnetic interference from the charging system is setting it off incorrectly. I have made some fancy magnetic shields made of a MuMetal that should buffer the interference. I'm also going to extend the distance from the rotor to the VR sensor and toothed wheel to try and further reduce the interference. We'll see if it works.

I think the bike also has some bad gas issues-- not the kind Beano will fix. The fuel is now all gunky and yellow, so I'll have to swap it out. We all know how annoying it can be to drain a tank. When I have a couple days, I'll get to it and let you all know how it goes!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home