honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Finally added this small twin to my stable!

JC56, JC57, C70, C71, CB71, CE71, CS71, CSA71, CS72, CSA72, C75, C76, CA76, CS76, CSA76, CS77, CSA77, CB92, CA95
Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Finally added this small twin to my stable!

Post by Rizingson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:05 pm

I decided it was time to land a "big one" from my most wanted list. Actually it wasn't even on my list, deeming it to be virtually impossible to snag. So when the opportunity came around again (first time in 3 years) it was time to finally step up and make it happen. These CB92's only go up for sale about once or twice a year, and you've got to be in the right place at the right time to score one. The only other example in Colorado that I'm aware of is hangin' on the wall at Fay Myers Motorcycle World in Denver. I've found out that it is only on loan.
This is the bike on display at Fay Myers Motorcycle world

The one I got was titled in '62 but is a '61 which is a year of many small changes for that model. Only 246 were imported to the US in that year.
Once the dust from sitting in a warehouse for 39 years was washed off, it wasn't as cosmetically pleasing as I had hoped, but I figured if I ever planned on getting one it probably should be now, and then work at making it better if and when I can find the stuff to do it.

So after a road trip to Iowa and the Davenport meet, where it was so hot and humid I thought I was about to croak, I went to an auction that had this Honda.
Had to put the thing on the back carrier because I was just too hot and tired to rearrange my load as I had left my trailer home to save on fuel cost. Here it is loaded for the long haul back to Colorado.

At least it fires up on the first kick (after fuel system cleaning and tuning adjustments) and sounds good. Here's a youtube clip of it running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoR1IGEfK4o

A few more pics of my CB92 project.

I guess you could say it's the only cafe racer looking bike I like, especially the tank style, which is very unusual.

One thing I found strange was the shift pattern is 1 up for first and the rest of the gears down. Guess it's called a GP pattern, but it's just like my Honda C110 also. Apparently they had 3 different patterns used on this bike depending on where it was sold, including rotary shift and the normal return shift we're all used to.

So far I've changed out the tank badges and found part of the windscreen hardware new wheels and spokes. Also have purchased an NOS set of the seamless mufflers as well as a used pair of the racing megaphones. After riding it a bit it is now in pieces, all labeled and bagged. Ready to go to media blasting and paint sometime in mid December.
Then I'll post up a build thread, here if there's interest.
Here's parts ready to be blasted!
Again, I feel fortunate to get to own and ride this rare collectible. It is rated as the second most collectible Honda production bike sold in the US, only topped by the CB750 sandcast edition. Most are in museums or private collections such as my own.
I'm hoping to have it ready for showing by April, if all goes well.

Hamamatsu Nippon
honda305.com Member

Post by Hamamatsu Nippon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Oh yeah, there is a genuine interest here in you posting a build thread. Curious point about the CB750 Sandcast being the most collectible. As far as fetching the highest dollar, you can't argue with that. But Holy Moly it's just a pre production model. Honda sandcast the darn engine because it wasn't sure this thing would sell. I would stand and look at a CB92 a lot longer than a Sandcast 750.
Fay Myers, there a name I haven't heard from in Decades. Is he still in business? About 35 years ago he sent me Honda Sport Kit manual.
1967 CA78
1965 CM90

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred.
Soichiro Honda

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Yes,
Please post with lots of pictures and links to your helpful resources. I enjoy anything about any old Hondas.
Steve

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Ray Davis in the UK was a big help when I rebuilt my '62 CB92 a few years back. His site is http://www.vintage-honda.com
A friend of mine in MI still has his '61 CB92R that he raced in the 1960s. He would be a good resource, too. I still have a spare 1962 CB92 engine that is waiting to help an old race bike with a grenaded engine that Scotty may get from an acquaintance.

Have fun- Tom

malcolmgb
honda305.com Member

Post by malcolmgb » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:07 pm

They are still out there.
I was aware of 4 CB92's for sale by one person in the US towards the end of last year, 2 were completely restored 1 with mostly NOS parts and 2 almost complete and required restoring.
Maybe they are still available.
1977 CB400F
1973 CL175
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Tom
Do you have a thread for your CB92?
Steve

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Steverino wrote:Tom
Do you have a thread for your CB92?
Steve
No, Steve, I didn't. Had no desire to do so.

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home