Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA95 - Well, I fcked up, I think...

JC56, JC57, C70, C71, CB71, CE71, CS71, CSA71, CS72, CSA72, C75, C76, CA76, CS76, CSA76, CS77, CSA77, CB92, CA95
Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

CA95 - Well, I fcked up, I think...

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:47 pm

OK, here's the scenario - trying to get the PITA stator on the crankshaft of the CA95 I'm rebuilding, I tried and tried to get the woodruff key to stay into it's little slot in the crankshaft.

Every time I tried to insert the generator/magnet and tighten it down via the spark advancer bolt, the woodruff key would not (appear to) stay in it's slot.

Previously, I had been able to do this with Much effort, but It Had Been Done.

A little backstory here - I had a massive air leak through the valves, so had the valve seats reground and new valves inserted- sucker's now pulling 150 lbs pressure on both chambers, and I had high hopes to be able to put it back together today and hopefully start it.

Back to Today - Long story short, I noticed in between my efforts that both the stator sprocket AND the rear face of the stator housing have more cracks in them than Betty White's hip...

Did *I* do it, trying to crank down on that (and please excuse the expression) GODDAMN woodruff key...? Try as I might, that damn generator/magnet would NOT bolt down w/o pushing that damn key back and out of it's slot, sliding it up and seemingly out of it's channel...

Previously, I (*thought ) I got everything aligned, and would tighten the spark advance bolt tighter and tighter until *Pop! it would slide into place, or so I believe.

My Question, is (1) should it be that effing hard to get the generator/magnet into place/was I doing it wrong...? Should it 'pop' into place, and (2) was I doing it wrong and screwed it up myself?
How is it possible to crack both the stator sprocket AND the stator housing? In multiple places??

And my last question: anybody have a stator/generator set-up, housing and/or sprocket they don't need? And if so, for how much? And how do you get the stator OUT of it's housing w/o tearing it up??

Any insight is much appreciated...

-John

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:19 am

Without some photographs it's hard to diagnose your problem. Installing the rotor is a simple operation and I have never had any difficulty doing it.

There a plenty of people here who might be able to help you but you have to give them more to work with.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Tim -

No worries; I e-mailed Bill Silver and got the proper procedure from him. The technique is not outlined or explained in the CA95 manual, nor have I seen it discussed here, so I went right to the top.

Thanks though!

-John

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home