Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

It Runs! (But...)

JC56, JC57, C70, C71, CB71, CE71, CS71, CSA71, CS72, CSA72, C75, C76, CA76, CS76, CSA76, CS77, CSA77, CB92, CA95
Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

It Runs! (But...)

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:00 am

Yesterday afternoon I finally put gas in my CA95 and fired it up! It's been a long road...

I was actually able to run it up the road and back, and it shifted fine and ran *pretty well, but I have a couple of weird sounds that need to be explored:

Sound One is a strange mechanical sound I heard twice immediately each time on start-up that went away shortly after the engine got going - I really don't know how to explain it other than a 'thrashing' noise...? The engine runs OK, but it just has that weird brief sound - lasts about 10 seconds, maybe, if that....??

Sound Two is going to be a bit easier to explain, I think -
The bike never had mufflers on it when I got it. It DID have the headers/down-pipes, but no mufflers. The sound I'm hearing there is an erratic 'toom-toom' sound that believe it or not, it sounds a lot like the drum solo at the beginning of Van Halen's Hot For Teacher...(but without the cymbals and guitar...;).

Interesting thing is, I put my fingers over the end of the header, and it goes away, or seems to. I can still hear *Something, but it's now more like a little 'tick'....
I think that's mixture related but I could be wrong.

I also noticed the left header (as you sit on the bike) is hot, but not as hot as the Right header...is my left cylinder not firing?

I'm just trying to figure/smooth things out.

revlover
honda305.com Member

Post by revlover » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Could it just be the valvetrain needs adjusting? Hard to be anything else when both cylinders share the same carb and sparks. Also loved the "Van Halen" description of the sound.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home