Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Early Engine Question

JC56, JC57, C70, C71, CB71, CE71, CS71, CSA71, CS72, CSA72, C75, C76, CA76, CS76, CSA76, CS77, CSA77, CB92, CA95
Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:27 am

It might be stainless, but aged so long it has an aluminum-like sheen to it.

I'm going to try your oxalic acid treatment today.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:42 pm

G-Man - The oxalic acid treat seems to have worked great; I let the muffler end soak for about two days and was able to get a pick down in between the sides of the rusted-in header pipe and gradually tap it out and away from the walls of the muffler w/ no damage to the muffler neck itself. Pulled out the rotten remnants of the header like a bad tooth...

Its an acid, folks, and a poison, so don't breathe it, smell it taste it or do anything otherwise stupid with it, but it does work. I got it at a pool supply store for about $8 for about 4 ounces, plenty for a small jobs.

And it seems to be doing a number on the totally rusted side-stand spring and header spacers I took out too; so yeah, thumbs up!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:43 am

John

I'm pretty sure I heard about it on this forum so what goes around comes around.

It's very kind to chrome parts too. Removes the rust and brightens the surface, too.

Glad it worked for you. It's the ultimate 'lazy man' restoration product.

G
Dr. Frankenstein wrote:G-Man - The oxalic acid treat seems to have worked great; I let the muffler end soak for about two days and was able to get a pick down in between the sides of the rusted-in header pipe and gradually tap it out and away from the walls of the muffler w/ no damage to the muffler neck itself. Pulled out the rotten remnants of the header like a bad tooth...

Its an acid, folks, and a poison, so don't breathe it, smell it taste it or do anything otherwise stupid with it, but it does work. I got it at a pool supply store for about $8 for about 4 ounces, plenty for a small jobs.

And it seems to be doing a number on the totally rusted side-stand spring and header spacers I took out too; so yeah, thumbs up!
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:57 am

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Its an acid, folks, and a poison, so don't breathe it, smell it taste it or do anything otherwise stupid with it, but it does work. I got it at a pool supply store for about $8 for about 4 ounces, plenty for a small jobs.
Actually it's quite safe to use as long as you don't eat it or repeatedly contact it on your skin. Oxalic acid is a weak acid found widely in plants, rhubarb being the classic example. It can properly be disposed of in municipal sewage.

An alternative that works well is citric acid. As far as I can tell it is the main (only?) active ingredient in Metal Rescue.

Do not, by the way, soak your zinc parts (carbs, fuel cock etc.) in either. The result will be a dull and pitted part, not the shiny one you might hope for. Don't ask how I know. :-(

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home