Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Save Honda305.com !

Do we need more: Boards? Topics? Motorcycles? Different organization? Layout? Suggestions on how to improve the h305 Forum.
OldTwinRuns
honda305.com Member

Save Honda305.com !

Post by OldTwinRuns » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:11 pm

This place is worth saving. Who is with me ?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Site Issues.

Post by DJM » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:18 am

If you look back through old posts you will find a list of members (me included) who were prepared to chip in a few$$ a month to get, and keep, the site back on track.

Good luck if you pull it off.

Muddy
honda305.com Member

Post by Muddy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 am

It is definitely worth saving, but I have absolutely no idea how to achieve that give the current status. I'm not web-hosting literate, but to me it looks like it would be better to start up a new site with a similar name (that is spammer-proof) and link back to the good stuff on here.
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72
'63 C72

DJM
honda305.com Member

Site issues.

Post by DJM » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 am

The problem is, I think, that no-one else has any idea how to sort out the mess either.

I've asked a couple of friends both involved in IT as their careers and neither of them could suggest a solution either.

For what it's worth I don't think it's too hard to lift all the existing stuff from the site 'en bloc'

One of the aforementioned friends did that last year just as the problems were starting and presented it to me on a DVD disc which I then installed on my hard drive.

It works superfast too as it doesn't have to be downloaded, just read from the hard drive which is much faster. Of course there are no updates so it's stuck in November 2018.

Still good to have though, if the site disappears altogether I'm happy to donate a copy to whoever can set up a replacement.

OldTwinRuns
honda305.com Member

Post by OldTwinRuns » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 am

Well, at least there's that. Looking around the site, there's the page about donations. There's the PayPal option, then there's "make checks payable to" Daimmler Imports. Mail to Michael Stoic, Westwood MA. There's even a phone number. I tried the phone number. Mailbox is full. Then I looked up Daimmler Imprts. Westwood MA. And yes, there's a Mercedes dealership there, but the guy I talked to said he'd never heard of Michael. Very strange indeed.
Somehow the lights are still on here. I think the best tack is finding the "hosting" company. Go through them. I don't know how to figure that out, tho.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Site Problems

Post by DJM » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:13 am

glimmer of light, perhaps?

Interesting that you have traced 'Michael' to Daimler Imports, or whatever. I believe someone made that connection a while back but with what result I don't know.

I actually met 'Michael' some years ago and spent a really pleasant evening with him in Boston, now it seems there's doubt that Michael Stoic is even his real name, he was a really pleasant guy, all very odd.

Earlier I was trying to refresh my memory about the site's problems and recalled that previous posts on the subject were all in the Off Topics and rants and raves section, previously open to all.

I now find this section is restricted to moderators only which certainly WASN'T the case a while back, last posing was in May 2019.

This at least shows that someone, somewhere still has some interest or control over the site so please, moderators Michael Stoic or kustommusic, please come out from wherever you're hiding and sort out the site.

OldTwinRuns
honda305.com Member

Post by OldTwinRuns » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am

Quick note, I've found the hosting firm. Tried calling, but no answer. I'll try again when I get back. If that fails, I'll try the written contact route.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home