Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Troubleshooting section?

Do we need more: Boards? Topics? Motorcycles? Different organization? Layout? Suggestions on how to improve the h305 Forum.
bhd
honda305.com Member

Troubleshooting section?

Post by bhd » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:55 pm

It'd be awesome if this site had a place to post general questions asking for help. For example, I have a buddies 305 engine sitting on my shop table (he stated it's locked up), but it looks great.. .any chance we have a transmission issue? Where to start?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Troubleshooting section?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:13 pm

2 questions and no location in your profile. ......lm
bhd wrote:It'd be awesome if this site had a place to post general questions asking for help. For example, I have a buddies 305 engine sitting on my shop table (he stated it's locked up), but it looks great.. .any chance we have a transmission issue? Where to start?

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Re: Troubleshooting section?

Post by Michael Stoic » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:49 am

bhd wrote:It'd be awesome if this site had a place to post general questions asking for help. ... Where to start?

In principle, I like the idea of a "Troubleshooting" section. However, in reality, a SEPARATE Troubleshooting board will absorb many posts that end up in their respective, already well established categories, like Motor, Suspension, Carburetion, etc.

There is also a danger of inundating the Forum with way too many boards. It seems to me we have evolved into some kind of a sweet spot with respect to categories and the number of boards. A natural balance is a fragile thing.

I'd like to get more opinions from other forum members on this. Please post them here...

Michael Stoic
honda305.com

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:24 am

Personally I think problems are solved pretty easily here in their respective categories like you say mike. As far as trouble shooting goes, it might be helpful to post, as a sticky, some of the troubleshooting guides in those respective categories just so they're there.
The only real issue that I've ever had on this forum is that the search feature doesn't work as well as I wish it did. Sometimes if I'm looking for a certain subject, I'll do a google search with the phrase honda305.com in it, then go from there (often with better results). A lot of times I won't even try the search feature on this site.

Jethro

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:46 am

I always try to do a search first before asking a question, but the search hasn't worked too well for me either. I would love a "How To" section with instructions and videos.

Dgormley
honda305.com Member

How to

Post by Dgormley » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:28 am

IMHO, this forum is geared to users that have a fundemental understanding of internal combustion engines and motorcycles,especially old Hondas. I, personally, have been able to find out just about anything I've needed to know to keep my CL running like a champ. That being said, I often see people ask questions without perusing the contents of the respective categories where the information lies. Simply put, there isn't a better source for info on 305s than right here................................D

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home