Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Real Language URLs

Do we need more: Boards? Topics? Motorcycles? Different organization? Layout? Suggestions on how to improve the h305 Forum.
Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Real Language URLs

Post by Michael Stoic » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:09 am

I never intended to geek out to this degree, but running an active website with a worldwide audience changes a man, let me assure you.

The latest result is a certain modification to the forum and other website software which generates real language URL links from posts on the honda305.com forum. This is known as URL rewriting, but what's important is the (positive) effect it has on the everyday forum operation.

More specifically, where the unmodified configuration would give you a link like this:

http://www.honda305.com/forums/post50995.html#50995 ...the latest change will reference the same post as:
http://www.honda305.com/forums/electron ... t8582.html ...check it out! ...they both point to the same (awsome, and soon to be a thread) post.

I think you can see the difference. Going forward, whenever a need to create a link to a post comes up, the URL itself will be far more readable. I hope this will be useful to forum members. Also, over time, search engines will reindex the forum posts under the new system which will in turn make the website searchable with even greater accuracy.

It has now been several days since the changes went in effect. I haven't detected any problems, but if any do come up, please be sure to let me know.

I have other improvements planned so please stay tuned with the shiny side up!

Happy Holidays to Everyone!!!

Michael Stoic
honda305.com

linmictil2
honda305.com Member

changes

Post by linmictil2 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:29 am

Looks good Thank you for running the site and Merry Christmas

Mike T.

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:55 am

Ditto on the nerdy bits and thanks for running a great site.

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Michael.

regards,
Rob

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Michael thanks,
Wishing a Merry Christmas and a very good New Year to you and yours.
Cliff

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home