Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Krylon Fusion Plastic Aerosol Paint

Gregg
honda305.com Member

Post by Gregg » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:59 pm

Wondering if any members have used these spray bombs to paint their bikes and if so, could you share any advise and/or ideas to make this a positive venture. My 66 black dream is stripped down to pieces, has been sandblasted to bare metal and is now primed with grey automotive primer (aerosols). I'm now ready for the black and will be using Krylon "Fusion" for plastic aerosols. Should I use rubbing compound when the paint dries to bring out the gloss..just don't know and would appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks Gregg

PS. Thanks to all for the "Rust in the gas tank" advise. I used POR-15 and tank looks great.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:31 pm

I wouldn't use paint that is formulated for plastic on a metal bike.

If using spray cans be prepared for it to take a really long time, much longer than it took to prime.

Do you have an air compressor?

Gregg
honda305.com Member

Post by Gregg » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:12 am

Hi Kevin..Nice bike. I borrowed a large compressor to sandblast the metal parts. I'm a member of the CVMG (Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group) and a few members have used this paint with fairly good results. It is called a paint for plastic but it is also good for metal and wood. I sprayed the frame and gas tank yesterday and it looks pretty good. I have to wait a week before I recoat per directions and I will probably give it a little longer just to be sure its good and hard. I live in Ontario and even though my garage is heated, the ambiant temp is 50-60 degrees F so paint curring could take a little longer. Would wet sanding with 400 paper between coats be better than using fine steelwool. All help greatly appreciated.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:38 am

Still surprised about that plastic paint. I painted mine with enamel with hardener added. 3 or 4 coats with about 1 hour between. No sanding. Let it dry for a couple of weeks and then used 3M rubbing compound to bring out a little shine. Do not use cheap paste rubbing compound you can pick up at the local hardware store. You need to use good stuff or nothing at all for this. It will help a lot though. Personally I wouldn't use steel wool anywhere on a paint job. Sandpaper would be a better bet.

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:07 pm

Steel wool? Never heard of using that on paint. Any tiny bits that aren't completely washed off will rust on your bike. I'd hate to see that between coats. I don't even use it on furniture finishes any more.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:30 pm

Iv'e never had any luck with using rubbing/buffing compounds on spray can paint. It never gets hard enough to really work with. I have used spray can paint then used automotive clear over the top of it, then wet sanded and buffed that. It works for me that way but a friend who is a pro painter screams at me for doing it! Steve Greer

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home