□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Powdercoating?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:19 pm

The base for powder coat is bare sand blasted metal.
No other prep. ....................lm

FluteTears wrote:I allmost hate to tell you all thsi but I have seen a guy win first in best of paint in allot of bike comps that uses a simple spray can Yep the one that you shake and rattle before you spray. Its a matter of prep and the right amout of coatiings, wet sands and buffing after the paint is on. The bottom line is to get a good base to work with the rest falls into place. Now I cat say anything about powder coating but I bet one thing it needs a good base to work with.

wordman5
honda305.com Member

Post by wordman5 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:37 pm

Powder does tend to get into places where it's not wanted, and is also hard to remove once it's in there! And, because powder is thicker than wet paint, it will change the way things fit. For example, I had the lower triple of my '66 Super Hawk coated black. My coater did an excellent job of masking the steering tube and the fork tube holes, threads, etc. But, we coated the area where the chrome fork lock cover goes. Needless to say, upon reassembly, that cover wasn't going to go back on. I had to use aircraft stripper and carefully work away the powder coat, then clean it up, mask it, and simply put on black spray paint. Powder coat is cost-effective and offers a tremendous finish on most (read: frames, swingarms, brackets, etc.), but just keep in mind that there will be some work involved when the powder coat comes back.

mcinturff
honda305.com Member

Post by mcinturff » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:16 pm

Is it possible to put an automotive finish over powder coat?

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 am

Hi,

Yes, I did this with a C50 cup.
It has the plate steel frame, and double layered areas, so I went for powder coating.
But the color wasn't matching enough (I was aware of this before coated).\\The actual collor was painted over the coating, and the result is nice.

I looked for a company who did both under one roof, so only one person was responsible for the result.

jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:28 am

I powder coated my tank with no issues. As LM advised, just clean your tank before bringing it in. Keep carb or brake cleaner away from it. I had a few drops shoot across the garage and land on it. Fortunately I acted quickly and they were in an inconspicuous location, but yeah... PC doesn't stand a change against. it.

Here's an image of how the paint looks. I'm happy with it. And as far as price, PC is the bargain between the two. Make sure there's no "body damage". Can't use any fillers under the coat.

piecutter wrote:Gas vapors, embedded in the tank, electric current, baking. Put em' all together. Could be damage, could be injury, could be nothing but a bad coating. All in a day's fun though!

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:13 am

Hi,

That's exactly why I powder coated first, then make the surface smooth, any bumps can be easily filled up. When everything is straight then spray.

I don't know why it's so hard to pc a gastank, here the company didn't bother, they cleaned it and then pc it.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

busaken
honda305.com Member

Post by busaken » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:00 pm

i used both paint and powdercoating in my restortations projects with excellent results

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home