Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

not near original, but...

perryT200
honda305.com Member

not near original, but...

Post by perryT200 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:02 pm

Image<br /><br />Image<br /><br />when i bought this bike it was rougher than a night in jail. one piston was holed, and the other one stuck tightly to the cyl walls because the already aftermarket exhaust had rotted off and allowed moisture back into the chambers. the original color was blue and someone had rattle can sprayed it black. by the time i got it, there wasn't a lot of black left, the paint stripper took it right off.<br /><br />sandblasted the frame parts and took it to the cheapest painter i could find. this is not going to the races or to the shows, it is a '10footer'. as long as i can keep you at least 10 feet away, it will look pretty decent.<br /><br />the red is GM &quot;Torch Red&quot;, the silver is actually a Hyundia color.<br /><br />any pieces that look bent, wrinkled, out of place, runny paint, ect.<br /><br />they are.<br /><br />the pieces that look overly shiny to the point of a glare. that is transmission fluid. <br /><br />see, all the people that tell you smuggly to just do things in reverse order when you re-assemble a bike give me the feeling of someone ripping out my fingernails.<br /><br />for anyone else that might not know, assemble the triple trees and forks first, remove the top bolts again then install the new fork fluid. if you fill a fork with fluid before it is mounted on the bike, you will have no chance of getting it up thru the brackets <br />and in position to bolt on before the tube has come down and you have fluid all over everything.<br /><br />trust me, i know.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: not near original, but...

Post by kustommusic » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:23 pm

Perry, LOOKS GREAT! It's the same colour I painted mine but I left my chassis black. I loved your description! You could use the same for my bike. Steve Greer

perryT200
honda305.com Member

Post by perryT200 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:35 pm

thank you very much. <br /><br />it appears of the viewers of this board , few respond.<br /><br />i put on the steering dampener equipment, and mounted the tires. i used the old shocks untill i get some after market ones. had the only hole (that i could find) in the exhaust headers brazed over today.<br /><br />i still plan on covering the exhaust headers with wrap. the most cost effective i could find was.<br /><br />http://www.martelbrothers.com/catalog/<br />category_398_Safety_Equipment_Heat<br />_Wrap_Matting_Sleeving__Accessories_Exh_page_1.html<br /><br />the 2&quot; 15foot should do nicely and look good for $15<br /><br />i have decided not to run a front fender, so this is what the front end will look like.<br />this is tonights picture update.<br />Image<br />Image

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:49 pm

Perry, So true about responces on this board,I kind wonder about the new members,when they post somthing and get 0 responces what they think.<br /> The silver on your bike looks like #3916 dupont sorta pewter. Looks good,different. Like your exhaust wrap too. I just get the old pipes sandblasted and paint them with black header paint, it looks good on my Yamaha 3 cyl. Also planning to do the same with my faux cafe racer i'm building at present. But on that one about nothing will remain orig. I should re think the exhaust and use the wrap-we'll see. Steve Greer

perryT200
honda305.com Member

Post by perryT200 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:03 am

well, a buddy just stopped by and we got it down on the ground with no mishaps.<br /><br />he rides the biggest 6cyl Honda makes, and mine looked a lot bigger up in the air. not so big on the ground.<br /><br />tires are shot. and i don't plan on a front fender. gonna go wide on the front. a Suzuki T200 has a very narrow front fender, so narrow that the metric of 2.75&quot; will not fit.<br /><br />i rode this a month before the rust effected the bottom end and killed the crank, but in my mind anything with chrome on the tanks is cool<br />Image<br /><br />yeah, at 6'4&quot; i crouch behind the bikes to make them look larger than they are.<br />

jlerma
honda305.com Member

Post by jlerma » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:57 pm

awesome work... i like the &quot;10footer&quot; description... i think mine is like that too.. going to get a pro job after i get mine started. :/

canuckpt
honda305.com Member

Post by canuckpt » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi, a newbie here. I am just starting a restoraion on a red 66 myself and would appreciate some help an advice on occassion. Fisrt question I have is; are your rims and spokes original? If not, where did you get the replacements/work done? Thanks.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home