□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Paint/rust

kirbb9
honda305.com Member

Post by kirbb9 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:39 am

There is a detailed walk-thru on the naked goldwing site. Do a search for electrolysis to find the thread. You use Arm & Hammer washing soda, not baking soda!! Kroger has it for 3 bucks for 3 lb box.

I have done it for 2 weeks solid using a schauer 6 amp charger and had no problems. After reading G-Mans reply I
think it would be better to use a higher amp charger. There are many ways to do it. I used coat hangers thru a rubber
sink stopper and plugged into the sending unit hole on a goldwing. Do not plug up the tank completely, there is gas that
will be created and has to be let out. As mentioned earlier the positive can't be allowed to touch the ground.

Brady

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:13 am

I often use electrolysis to remove rust from parts before I zinc plate them, and it works very well. There are some cautions that should be observed, and these are nicely addressed in the article at this link:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Quick question about the electrolysis process.

Do you remove the petcock before you do this? Will it mess up the petcock gasket if you keep it on?

What do you use to plug the opening of the tank (where the gas is taken out of the tank) ?

Thanks!

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:07 pm

I used a brass pipe fitting to cap the petcock threads. I believe it was 1/4 pipe. the threads didnt match up but it worked good enough to hold the water. And the brass didnt mess up the threads on the tank. I just used a rubber cap on the reserve elbow fitting. I dont believe this method would harm the rubber but your gonna wanna take off the petcock anyway, and the rebuild kits are cheap.This for a CB tank. I made up a Gasket and block off plate for my CB160 tank that had a bolt on petcock.
64' CB77
65' CB160

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home