Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

DIY Painting Procedure

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

DIY Painting Procedure

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Along with the rims, I plan on painting my 1964 CA77 myself. I have an HVLP gun, but I'm wondering about opinions regarding the paint: spray the first coat over the primer, then wet-sand and repeat, or what...? And what about clear coat?

-John

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: DIY Painting Procedure

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Ya can choose a good paint today which unlike the good old days (spray/sand/spray/sand/spray) and get a good looking bike.
ALL the PARTS I paint are one color (spray, dry. spray. dry) and assemble. ...............lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Along with the rims, I plan on painting my 1964 CA77 myself. I have an HVLP gun, but I'm wondering about opinions regarding the paint: spray the first coat over the primer, then wet-sand and repeat, or what...? And what about clear coat?

-John

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:30 pm

With an HVLP gun, I'd recommend against doing one color. If you want a serious paint job, you need to follow some good steps. I went to school for car design and one of the higher points of the classes was learning to paint to show quality. You'll want to get the part smooth, sand any filler to at least 800 grit. Then primer. Spray some guide coat black speckled over the primer and try to sand till all the black is gone (helps ensure all the gullies are gone). Make sure you wet sand to at least 1200 grit. This seems over the top, but it really does make all the difference. Then paint. Spray all your body color coats (in case you have multiple layers), then sand-- maybe-- there was always talk if this was a good step or not. Clear coat over that and wet sand to 1200 grit before polishing with multiple compounds.

These are extensive steps, but how all the best show cars are colored up. Large surfaces like a tank are easier done with these steps than something that have lots of tiny corners like a frame.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:20 pm

That's really good advice and well within reach for the patient amateur. I have been learning to pain motorcycles for the last 30 years and still patience and attention to detail are the best tools.

I have three separate small HVLP guns for doing bikes. One for primer, one for color and one for lacquer. That allow me to avoid contamination and I can keep the settings on each gun matched to the paint type. As I'm restoring pitted parts I use a lot of filler putty to fill blemishes. Using a guide coat to test for flatness is a great idea and I often alternate my primer color (light/dark) for a similar effect.

I'm still searching for perfection. It's all in the preparation. If it isn't perfect before you spraybthe topcoat, it certainly won't be after.....

It's such a buzz painting your own bike. With the money you save you can afford to buy more parts for your restoration.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:41 pm

I think your statement to the paint question and is a reply to mine may not meet the actual needs for painting a 1961-1967 CB/CL72/77 HONDA MC.
<<I'd recommend against doing one color. If you want a serious paint job,>>>>>>
Say ya have a Black and Silver, Blue and Silver, Red and Silver CB/CL72/77 frame to paint.
Would ya really paint as ya suggest?
800 grit then 1200 grit.
The frames are round tubes not a car part.
Tell me why ya would do as ya suggest with the silver fenders, air cleaner covers with these bikes when a single paint mix (no clear coat required) is as close and at times better than NOS.
I know there are paints available today that when I spray them (thin coat, dry 20 minutes, thin coat, dry 20 minutes, another and last thin coat and I'm finished with the paint) will do a Perfect Paint Job and at no time do I sand anything.
I must admit my paint jobs do come out Really Nice and I never sand any part once I start the paint process.
I'll blow ya away for sure when I tell ya that all parts I paint have Just Been Blasted with Sharp Glass then painted as I described above.
Dang I don't even Primer any of those parts!
Why ya may ask!!!!!
I use 2 part paint (mixed together then sprayed) which adheres to the cleaned metal rather well.
I found many years back that when I primed (with the recommended primer) that over time the paint would chip from rocks or other unwanted contact.
What I found was it was the Soft Primer coating allowing the Harder Paint to be chiped away from the metal part. (recommend primer for the paint I used referred to earlier)
BTW I use Dupont EMRON paint.
No reason for how ya suggest painting parts.
One color, one coat type paints are available and easy to apply.
Just how/what I do with my restorations of the CB/CL72/77 bikes. ..........................lm

MBellRacing wrote:With an HVLP gun, I'd recommend against doing one color. If you want a serious paint job, you need to follow some good steps. I went to school for car design and one of the higher points of the classes was learning to paint to show quality. You'll want to get the part smooth, sand any filler to at least 800 grit. Then primer. Spray some guide coat black speckled over the primer and try to sand till all the black is gone (helps ensure all the gullies are gone). Make sure you wet sand to at least 1200 grit. This seems over the top, but it really does make all the difference. Then paint. Spray all your body color coats (in case you have multiple layers), then sand-- maybe-- there was always talk if this was a good step or not. Clear coat over that and wet sand to 1200 grit before polishing with multiple compounds.

These are extensive steps, but how all the best show cars are colored up. Large surfaces like a tank are easier done with these steps than something that have lots of tiny corners like a frame.

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Sound like my kind of paint work there LM. Quick and easy. Thanks for sharing your methods.
64' CB77
65' CB160

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

painting

Post by rustywrench » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Thank you Ed for sharing your painting process with us and as I move into my painting learning curve, I will take your advice seriously.
I would remind you that in this world there are many who like to strive for more perfection than Honda, you or I would ever consider. If they like to spend their time sanding and looking at the world through a microscope, then more power to them. Some of us realize there are more important things to "us" and our time. Just a thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RW

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home