□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

DIY Painting Procedure

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Why spot and panel? Does it come pre-mixed, or....? And what about application? Does it take a single coat, or dry-and-sand and reapply? How many coats does it take to get something approximating a nice glossy finish, and how user-friendly is it? Will it lay down over Rustoleum without lifting?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:16 am

Spot and panel because it dries quicker, and is easier to work with. Activator is sold seperately, and mixes 1:4. I shoot a tack coat, wait a couple minutes, and one good coat. It is quite thick, and loks awsome. It generaly goes nicely over Rustoleum, but occasionally will wrinkle the base coat. The longer you wait betweem base and top coats the better. The learning curve is pretty short, do some test panels to figure out how much can be applied before running.
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:56 pm

Just finished mine for now.
Not as good as I hoped, but what I expected for my skill and patience level.
Started with bare metal, cleaned with acetone, sanded with 600 wet, washed, shot 2 coats of Rustoleum Primer, and 4 coats of Rustoleum top (rattle cans) low humidity, outside, 85 degrees.
I noticed the spray fan from the nozzles applied heavy in the middle and lighter on the outsides.
Probably should have sanded between coats, but enamel takes forever to dry.
I waited about 45 minutes between coats.
Not bad from 10 feet, but the closer you get the more you notice the texture.
Think I should stick to undercoating or bedliners!
Pics attached.
Attachments
Dream Tank Close Up2.JPG
Dream Tank Close Up.JPG
Dream Tank Top.JPG
Dream Tank.JPG
Dream Rear.JPG
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Brewski,
Well, what the hell, so it ain't perfect. It is a very clean presentable machine that I assume runs well too, and that is what counts. I take it this is your rider and it is a nice one at that. I can only hope mine turns out as well. Ride safely, RW

busaken
honda305.com Member

Post by busaken » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 pm

brewski... you did a nice job on the dream! hey its good that you have the drive to get her done. keep at it and you will get that perfect paint job. heck it took me several attempts at painting various cars and bikes before i got the painting skills right. do you have before and after pics?
anything is possible if you have the drive blood sweat and tears to get it done!

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:38 pm

You could try some polishing compound, that may put a shine on it. I just did a quick rattle can paint job on a CB500, the next day rubbed it with polishing coumpound, and you could see yourself in it.

The bike looks good!

Gunner

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

I thought about sanding and clearcoating, but after a week, the paint is still too soft to sand.

Just need to ride it for now.

I've done a few small parts with laquer before and they turned out better. This will be my last attempt with enamel.

I could tell from the beginning it wasn't going to be perfect from the irregular nozzle spray pattern.

Local vintage/hot rod car club pres. has a body shop and said he will paint the bike including minor body work for less than $500, but when I asked him for the estimate he said WHY? ....that it looked original as it is.

I don't have any before pics, but it does look better than with the extra red tank that was on it.

When I got it the PO had put it up in 1979 and covered it with grease to preserve it (and left a full tank of gas in it!)...I thought a couple hours with a can of gas and a rag, and a tank flush, and I would have a "new" bike......WRONG!

It does run good, doesn't smoke or leak and the exhaust note is pure music.

I've owned a bunch of bikes over the years, but none as much fun to ride.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home