Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Gas Stains On Fuel Tank

rbunyan4
honda305.com Member

Gas Stains On Fuel Tank

Post by rbunyan4 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Does anyone have a method or product they can suggest to remove the ugly yellow staining from gas overflow on the CL 77 tanks? I understand that the yellow is a product of the ethanol in the gas and that the CL 77 gas caps weren't good at preventing some overflow, especially when the gas tank is filled to capacity. I've tried various polishes, including slightly abrasive scratch removers, but with little success. My next method is to try very fine, wet sandpaper applied lightly, then followed up with polishers and wax. However, I'd like to know if someone has found an easier, less risky solution. Thanks for any help!

bonjour
honda305.com Member

Post by bonjour » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:23 am

I have that on my daily CB80 all the time.

I use Belgom Alu , (aluminium polish) use it very soft, don't press, and make cirkel's.
Works fine for me.

After your done, wax it.

I use this method for over 5 years now, and the tank is still not scratched. Just make sure you don't press to hard, apply very soft~no pressure.
'Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.' - Ron Paul

rbunyan4
honda305.com Member

Post by rbunyan4 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks for the tip. I can understand the "don't apply too much pressure". I'll check the product you mentioned, but I don't think I've ever seen it in any of the auto parts stores here. Since you are in Europe, this might not be distributed in the U.S. I'll check for substitutes also.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:27 am

rbunyan4 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I can understand the "don't apply too much pressure". I'll check the product you mentioned, but I don't think I've ever seen it in any of the auto parts stores here. Since you are in Europe, this might not be distributed in the U.S. I'll check for substitutes also.
I would assume that any aluminum wheel polish or mag wheel polish would be similar. Mother's makes a good one that should be in any persons garage that has shiny metal bits on either their bike or car.

I would think a mild rubbing compound would accomplish the same thing though. Maybe something like Meguiars Scratch-X or similar.

bonjour
honda305.com Member

Post by bonjour » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:35 am

Yes, ive used Valma Scratch Remover before, it also works.

The Belgom I mentioned is the holy grail for motorcyclists here in Europe, it's fantastic stuff to polish aluminium. Very good results with almost no effort. So go to a motorcycle shop, im almost sure they will have it, even in the US.

Anyway, Valma Scratch Remover also works.

Just do it carefully to not to damage your paint, and if you use a aluminium polish, always wax after your done. It give new fuel less chance to 'burn in' , and , when combined with an old T-shirt that you keep under your tank, you can easly wipe new gasoline spills of the tank and your tank will stay clean.
'Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.' - Ron Paul

interpon
honda305.com Member

Post by interpon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Flitz

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home