Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Recomendations for a painter?

gltrench
honda305.com Member

Recomendations for a painter?

Post by gltrench » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:14 pm

Hi,<br />I am restoring a 1963 CL72 and I am looking for someone who can do an original &quot;cloud silver&quot; paint job on my tank and side covers. Does anyone have any recomendations? I am debating on doing it myself, but I would rather have it done proffesionally. I want this bike done right. Thanks.<br />Gabe

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Recomendations for a painter?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:22 am

Have you checked your local auto paint shops?. ..........LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

gltrench
honda305.com Member

Post by gltrench » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:59 am

Hi LM,<br />No, I haven't checked local auto painters. I am more concerned with the fact that I get the right color and presentation. You see a lot of restored bikes these days that look good, but aren't correct ( wrong shade of silver, too glossy, ect). I wan't this bike to be correct. Any comments? Thanks.<br />Gabe

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:17 am

I've used Dupont IMRON colors since 1985 and the Silver I use is more glossy than original but holds up to the gas (?????) we are sold today. The closest I found for the Silver was for fenders only cause the gas will strip it off the CL72/77 tank. It was KRYLON Dull Aluminum with a top coat of KRYLON Satin Clear. ............LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

gltrench
honda305.com Member

Post by gltrench » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:41 pm

LM,<br />Where would you recomend buying Dupont Imron? Would it be found at a regular auto paint shop? Since it is only a tank and side covers (my fenders are going to be polished alloy, it's a 1963 CL72) i can see doing that myself. Also, as long as I have the attention of an experiened restorer, what is your take on powder coating versus painting. I am debating if I should have the frame and other painted parts powdercoated or If I should just paint them myself. Thanks for your insight!<br />Gabe

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home