Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Bumpy/orange peel paint?

Hippykid
honda305.com Member

Bumpy/orange peel paint?

Post by Hippykid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi fellow Dream enthusiasts-I was reading brewskys message about bumpy/orange peel paint
problems...I am right in the middle of a resto on a 65 CA77 and i picked a color that was not offered on a Dream in 65 but I was sure I could do the bike some justice-I normally send my paint out to a second party as my painting skills are limited to rattle cans...So I took a leap of faith and
picked out the color I had pictured in my mind-It only came in a satin color (not flat-not gloss)
but I ordered it anyway-after much bodywork and priming I started out on my rattlecan paint job.
3 or 4 color coats then lighly wet sanded then one final color coat-then I put at least 6 or 7 clearcoats followed by a wet sanding with 1200 grit then 2 good wet clearcoats and then I polished it out. Let the paint dry for at least 3 days then using a profesional polishing kit( that I purchased at a hobby shop) I basically sanded the clearcoat glass smooth.Is a cushioned abrasive system that
starts at 3200 and ends at 12000 grit. You can use it dry but my only experience with this system
has been wet. You have to let the sanding grits soak for 15 minutes-Then starting at the lowest grit
you sand in one direction until smooth then jump to the next higher grit and going the opposite
direction sand until the last sanding marks are gone-by the time you are done you will have a glass smooth paint job needing only polish to make it profesional looking paint job. Try it.....
65 CA77
74 DT360
74 TY250
66 CA95
10 Honda Fury

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home