Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rustoleum Oil based Aluminum Color

hondadreamca77
honda305.com Member

Post by hondadreamca77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Anybody have experience with Rustoleum oil based "Aluminum" color from the quart can? I am wanting to use it on trim pieces, rims (chrome too far gone) and engine case. I am thinking of adding slight black tint to give it a less shiny appearance. I had five years paint mixing experience during my earlier years so I enjoy this sort of thing. Main thing I want to know is how it worked from someone who used it.

Thanks,

Steve

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:05 pm

If this is what I think it is, and posting the paint code would help, it dries a fairly dull, yet bright silver. I've used this paint and suggested using it to others who are trying to duplicate a cadmium plated look on old Brit bikes.

If it were me, I'd not use it on rims. It will look like crap IMHO. I also do not think it holds up well. I used it on a trailer frame this summer and it scuff and scratches off pretty easily, which is not common for cured Rustoleum paints in primary colors.

I would suggest you have your rims powder coated. I did my CL77 rims because they were too rusty to rechrome and they came out great. I had the coater use a silver that is called near chrome or something like that. Sprint car owners use it to jazz up their cars. It's a two step process with a clear top coat. Makes the rims look like alloy rims. Most think my rims are alloy unless I tell them otherwise.

regards,
Rob

hondadreamca77
honda305.com Member

Post by hondadreamca77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks Rob,

Paint code is 7715 / oil based. I too am leary of this looking "chintzy" so for first pass I will tint in some darkener to cut the brightness and shoot a few small pieces with HVLP gun. If I like it, I plan on clear coating top coat after four to five set up coats. I only intend to do this once. I have been contemplating powder coating and have a good shop set up so perhaps just buy a kit and learn how to do that....it's an option I've been weighing. Will try adjusting the aluminum paint first. Most of my mechanic skills were first honed 30+ years ago so I am usually kinda old school approach but like to learn new things as well. I am going to post some other progress pics under restore section tonight. I am painting the bike with HVLP gun in Rustoleum oil gloss black with wet sanding between coats....looking nice so far. Fits my budget and DIY goal for this bike.

Regards,

Steve

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home