Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Blue Dream Pics?

houseowax
honda305.com Member

Blue Dream Pics?

Post by houseowax » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am

There's surprisingly few pics available on the www of blue CA77's.

I'll be painting two or more bikes this winter. Since my CB77 will without a doubt be repainted to it's original black I started considering painting my Dream blue. Trouble is I can't seem to find too many pics of the OEM blue from which to select a paint chip. I know LM posted an Imron paint code, but I'm having some difficulty locating it and thought I might look for a more readily available ( and hopefully cheaper!) brand.

So if you have a blue Dream that's factory or close to factory blue and wouldn't mind either posting here or flinging some my way via email I'd much appreciate it. As much as I appreciate those of you who go off the grid and paint your bikes non-factory colors to match your personality, I'm a squaresville purist and want to match my paint as close as possible to OEM.

Thanks everybody. Hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving ( if you live in the USA, I mean).
'63 CA77 - Giving me all kinds of headaches.
'64 CA77 - Patiently waiting it's turn
'65 CB77 - A 'great winter project'

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Re: Blue Dream Pics?

Post by rzgkane » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 am

houseowax wrote:There's surprisingly few pics available on the www of blue CA77's.

I'll be painting two or more bikes this winter. Since my CB77 will without a doubt be repainted to it's original black I started considering painting my Dream blue. Trouble is I can't seem to find too many pics of the OEM blue from which to select a paint chip. I know LM posted an Imron paint code, but I'm having some difficulty locating it and thought I might look for a more readily available ( and hopefully cheaper!) brand.

So if you have a blue Dream that's factory or close to factory blue and wouldn't mind either posting here or flinging some my way via email I'd much appreciate it. As much as I appreciate those of you who go off the grid and paint your bikes non-factory colors to match your personality, I'm a squaresville purist and want to match my paint as close as possible to OEM.

Thanks everybody. Hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving ( if you live in the USA, I mean).
There are some pics of my blue Dream here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76565933@N05/page13/
1965 CA77Dream

houseowax
honda305.com Member

Post by houseowax » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 am

Indeed! Lovely bike and just about the level of restoration I hope to achieve ( although where'd you come across those firestone whitewalls!?!).

Might I ask what brand/color paint you used and if you're satisfied with its performance? And if you don't mind sharing your secrets, what brand/method/color did you use for the silver painted aluminum (side covers, carb covers etc)? Looks fantastic!

Thanks for sharing those pics, rzgkane; that's exacty what I was hoping to find.

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm

I wish I had answers for you but I bought the bike pretty much as you see it in those photos. Tires included. Since those shots were taken I have had both carb covers and engine side covers re-done in a process called IVD (ion vapor deposit), had the points, stator and oil filter covers polished, replaced the right side engine cover with a year-appropriate one that has the clutch cable come in from directly above, and a few other odds and ends. Had a spare seat recovered white with blue piping and it looks pretty good. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
1965 CA77Dream

houseowax
honda305.com Member

Post by houseowax » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Ah, so you're the one who had the IVD done. That looked amazing, but I reckon I'm stuck with paint. I asked around and it seems none of my friends are in the aircraft building trade.
I was thinking when looking at your pics 'gee, I'd polish those (stator, points etc) covers.' Nice work; I'm sure it's the icing on the cake.

No worries on the paint info- the pics are truly helpful and should make my decision much easier. Thanks, and enjoy the bike. I suppose it's still nice riding weather where you are, huh?

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Here's my '66 in its original blue, probably faded a little... For the painted aluminum engine covers, carb covers, etc I swear by VHT SP127 Universal Aluminum. Its a good match and is fuel resistant after you bake it on. NOS cover on the left, Universal Aluminum on the left.
Attachments
Pic 027small.jpg
DSC03492.JPG

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm

I got a match for my Blue Dream in the UK and the best match was a Volkswagen Color

The paint I had matched is :

Volkswagen Indienblau
LL5M

I painted mine in my 'Al Fresco' paint booth...... :-)

C72 Tank with panels and badges by graham.curtis, on Flickr

C72 Parts - painted by graham.curtis, on Flickr

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home