Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Want to confirm paint combination

teamtiger21
honda305.com Member

Want to confirm paint combination

Post by teamtiger21 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:19 pm

I just want to confirm what I understand the paint application is on Honda CL72/77 and CB77's

Cloud Silver is applied to the fenders, side covers, on CL's the tank and on the CB the starter and strangely the crank case cover vs the dull silver on the outer cases of the engine? Thanks

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Want to confirm paint combination

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm of the opinion HONDA applied 3 different shades of Silver over the years.
From the beginning to sometime in 1967 the Cloud Silver was applied:
CB72/77, both fenders, air cleaner covers and tail light bracket--(some discussion on this but I've had MANY of these bikes and have yet to get one with a color other than Cloud Silver. Usually if not silver they have been painted Black as I've never seen a Red or Blue one on the CB bikes) (CL72/77 YES!)
The BRITISH and other European bikes seem to have Black from the factory, Large plate)
CL72/77:
CL72 early (1962 to sometime in 1963 had Polished fenders and Cloud Silver tank and air covers then the fenders were painted CS).
CL77 1965 to sometime in 1967 had CS fenders, tank and air covers then CL77-1056274 and later the fenders were chrome plated and some tanks were painted a sort of Candy Blue or Orange or CS?
A different Silver was used on the engine side covers and engine center cover and starter.
The 1966/67 fork sliders were a different Silver yet. ..........lm

quote="teamtiger21"]I just want to confirm what I understand the paint application is on Honda CL72/77 and CB77's

Cloud Silver is applied to the fenders, side covers, on CL's the tank and on the CB the starter and strangely the crank case cover vs the dull silver on the outer cases of the engine? Thanks[/quote]

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home