Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Painting engine

rideordie
honda305.com Member

Painting engine

Post by rideordie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:20 am

Hey guys!
I'm working on a rebuild of a '65 scrambler and want to do some minor custom work to it as it is not a numbers-matching bike. Was thinking of painting the engine but I realize that is usually not the best idea due to 'breathability'. I also want to keep cost down as much as possible but also want a good looking bike in the end.

My questions: How would painting the engine effect the overall performance? Has anyone done it? If painting is out of the question, what are my other options?

Thanks in advance!

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:29 am

I've painted plenty of engines on motorcycles.
My Superhawk motor.

I have more but I'm to lazy to find and upload them.

I Usually use VHT or Duplicolor engine paint. ( out of the rattle can)
I have used the more expensive ceramics, but as long as you follow the directions and follow the prep procedure you shouldn't have any problems. I never have, also I've never noticed a " performance " difference.

I also have used cerakote and other high end heat coatings.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

rideordie
honda305.com Member

Post by rideordie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:47 am

Very nice! Really like the paint scheme on those engines.

What was your prep-work procedure? Did you media blast?

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:57 pm

No, I've never blasted a motorcycle engine before.

Always degrease and clean very thoroughly first and foremost.

On the block I sand out imperfections with 180, I'll use more abrasive if I need to... But then follow with a 320, use primer, then sand the primer with 400. Then clean with prepsol and paint.

On the 305... The motor was degreased, and wire wheeled clean. Then I polished the fins. After I was done polishing the fins, I masked, and then sprayed the black. Then wiped the black off the polished fins. It's very time consuming, and takes a lot of patience. Especially to polish the motor.

rideordie
honda305.com Member

Post by rideordie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:31 am

Awesome, thanks for the info! Will keep you updated on the progress, so far have started degreasing but is going to take a while since the exterior of my engine was absolutely filty

rideordie
honda305.com Member

Post by rideordie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Been reading a lot on other forums about engine paint. Seems like people have quite a bit of issues with chipping which is another big concern of mine, weather it be VHT or duplicolor. I know the prep work is about 90% of the overall results but I certainly want to make sure I get this right the first time...

What paint gets best results?
Did you media/sand/soda blast prior?
Did you use solvents to degrease?
Did you heat to remove solvents?
Did you prime before color? (how many layers, use self-etching, ect.)
Did you bake after color? (how long, did you do different heat stages)

Sorry for all the questions just don't want to do this twice and first hand experience would be best!

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:10 am

rideordie wrote:Been reading a lot on other forums about engine paint. Seems like people have quite a bit of issues with chipping which is another big concern of mine, weather it be VHT or duplicolor. I know the prep work is about 90% of the overall results but I certainly want to make sure I get this right the first time...

What paint gets best results?
Did you media/sand/soda blast prior?
Did you use solvents to degrease?
Did you heat to remove solvents?
Did you prime before color? (how many layers, use self-etching, ect.)
Did you bake after color? (how long, did you do different heat stages)

Sorry for all the questions just don't want to do this twice and first hand experience would be best!
It chips if it's not properly dried, on the VHT can it says it must be baked for a period of time.

What paint gets the best results? Well for me, I've had good and bad with a lot of paints... But mostly as far any decent quality ceramic paint for an engine should be fine. VHT, Duplicolor and Eastwood.
Unless you pull the motor and bring it to the machine shop to have it blasted. I wouldn't recommended it. It'll be a big mess to clean up, and you'll have to worry about getting media in places you don't want it.
No I used prepsol to degrease and clean. You can use purple cleaner, and scrub first. Then sand, then clean prior to priming.
When it's bare metal , it's always best to use a self etching primer or an epoxy. They bite into the raw bare metal , and then follow with a regular primer.
Yes, it's recommended you bake after you paint. However if you simply run the engine for a little bit they get hot enough :)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home