□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Super Hawk Engine Cover Color

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:59 pm

48lesco wrote:VHT High Temperature Engine Enamel SP127 Universal Aluminum is a good match in my opinion. I use it on all of the painted parts of the engine (clutch, kicker, valley, and starter covers, as well as the starter). I like it because you can bake it on for 20 minutes and then it has excellent fuel resistance. Instructions on the can. I used the kitchen oven and it doesn't leave any odor. I did not ask for permission to do that beforehand...
Thanks for that tip; it sure looks good on that engine. Does it require a primer? Is your wife still talking to you? :-)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:00 pm

As stated before I use KRYLON DULL ALUMINUM and no bake but easy to do a simple touch when your shoe/boot wares through on the clutch cover. ...........lm
48lesco wrote:VHT High Temperature Engine Enamel SP127 Universal Aluminum is a good match in my opinion. I use it on all of the painted parts of the engine (clutch, kicker, valley, and starter covers, as well as the starter). I like it because you can bake it on for 20 minutes and then it has excellent fuel resistance. Instructions on the can. I used the kitchen oven and it doesn't leave any odor. I did not ask for permission to do that beforehand...

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:36 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:As stated before I use KRYLON DULL ALUMINUM and no bake but easy to do a simple touch when your shoe/boot wares through on the clutch cover. ...........lm
Easy touch up is an important consideration, LM. As someone once said, sh*t happens. I've been using "Cast Coat Aluminum" Duplicolor high temp engine paint so far, but I've never tried a touch up. I think I'll give that a try on something to see if it works out as well as your Krylon has.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Let us knw how it works out. .............lm
Seadog wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:As stated before I use KRYLON DULL ALUMINUM and no bake but easy to do a simple touch when your shoe/boot wares through on the clutch cover. ...........lm
Easy touch up is an important consideration, LM. As someone once said, sh*t happens. I've been using "Cast Coat Aluminum" Duplicolor high temp engine paint so far, but I've never tried a touch up. I think I'll give that a try on something to see if it works out as well as your Krylon has.

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:12 pm

I tried the Krylon and it also matches well, but I wanted something a little tougher and fuel resistant. I don't use primer on the aluminum parts, but I did on that particular valley cover because it was pitted like yours. I recall three or four coats with sanding in between to get it smooth. Another tip is to put the rattle can in hot water for a few minutes before shooting to reduce orange peel. And no issues with using the oven, not sure I ever mentioned it...

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks for that hot water tip, 48lesco. I wasn't able to paint yet as I was getting a horn body ready to paint at the same time. I should be getting to it tomorrow. I'll also be spraying multiple prime coats, sanding between. Yours came out great.

48lesco wrote:I tried the Krylon and it also matches well, but I wanted something a little tougher and fuel resistant. I don't use primer on the aluminum parts, but I did on that particular valley cover because it was pitted like yours. I recall three or four coats with sanding in between to get it smooth. Another tip is to put the rattle can in hot water for a few minutes before shooting to reduce orange peel. And no issues with using the oven, not sure I ever mentioned it...

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:47 pm

I paint during the day and place the can in the sun as I do other thongs then leave the can in the sun before the next coat. ..............lm
Seadog wrote:Thanks for that hot water tip, 48lesco. I wasn't able to paint yet as I was getting a horn body ready to paint at the same time. I should be getting to it tomorrow. I'll also be spraying multiple prime coats, sanding between. Yours came out great.

48lesco wrote:I tried the Krylon and it also matches well, but I wanted something a little tougher and fuel resistant. I don't use primer on the aluminum parts, but I did on that particular valley cover because it was pitted like yours. I recall three or four coats with sanding in between to get it smooth. Another tip is to put the rattle can in hot water for a few minutes before shooting to reduce orange peel. And no issues with using the oven, not sure I ever mentioned it...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home