honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
  □ CLASSIFIED_ADS
□ FAQ 
  □ SEARCH_ADS
□ 
  □ MY_ADS
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

To change the color to red or not

mixalive
honda305.com Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:28 am

To change the color to red or not

Post by mixalive » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:04 am

I have a 1965 CB77 early 600's serial number in black. It will undergo a restoration and am considering changing the color to red. Are there any correlations to serial number and color? Are there any paint code's stamped on the bike? Are there any resale advantages from one color to the next? Do you think it is just wrong that I change the color?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:23 am
Location: KERRVILLE, TEXAS

Re: To change the color to red or not

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:23 am

HONDA didn't keep any records as to what color any of these bikes were when issued.
RED is a popular color now where in the 60's it was OK.
If you are changing the wheels why are you worried what the value would be if it is RED rather than BLACK? .....................lm

mixalive wrote:I have a 1965 CB77 early 600's serial number in black. It will undergo a restoration and am considering changing the color to red. Are there any correlations to serial number and color? Are there any paint code's stamped on the bike? Are there any resale advantages from one color to the next? Do you think it is just wrong that I change the color?

User avatar
Hamamatsu Nippon
honda305.com Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: To change the color to red or not

Post by Hamamatsu Nippon » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:35 pm

mixalive wrote: ? Are there any resale advantages from one color to the next? Do you think it is just wrong that I change the color?
In the sixties Honda painted them red, white, black, or blue. In my biased opinion they look best in white, especially if you have fiberglass saddlebags. I believe blue is the rarest colour for the Dream, so could be more valuable. I am also Ok with going to pastel colours. The pressed frame and fenders lend themselves nicely to the abundant paint needed, so a great pastel shade like sky blue, or mint really pops.

Oops, just realized you aren't talking about the Dream.
Last edited by Hamamatsu Nippon on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1967 CA78
1965 CM90

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred.
Soichiro Honda

AlanW
honda305.com Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Wirral UK.

paint colour

Post by AlanW » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi, I am restoring a 1968 cb77 in red, the local paint supplier looked up Honda scarlet from the 60's and came up with a colour code, R2. I don't know if this is the same on your side of the pond but it may be worth asking.
Good luck with it.
Al.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:23 am
Location: KERRVILLE, TEXAS

Re: paint colour

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Were you able to have the supplier make that color?. ...........lm
AlanW wrote:Hi, I am restoring a 1968 cb77 in red, the local paint supplier looked up Honda scarlet from the 60's and came up with a colour code, R2. I don't know if this is the same on your side of the pond but it may be worth asking.
Good luck with it.
Al.

User avatar
malcolmgb
honda305.com Member
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:52 am
Location: Midlands UK & Cleveland OH

Post by malcolmgb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:19 pm

I recently had my CL72 painted red, on the swing arm was an identity label, when pealed off the original paint was matched at a local dealer it is 'RAL3020'
http://www.ralcolor.com/
1977 CB400F
1973 CL175
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member
Posts: 7813
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:23 am
Location: KERRVILLE, TEXAS

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:14 pm

I use Dupont IMRON 6543 UM. ..................lm
malcolmgb wrote:I recently had my CL72 painted red, on the swing arm was an identity label, when pealed off the original paint was matched at a local dealer it is 'RAL3020'
http://www.ralcolor.com/

Post Reply

 


 

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home