□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Correct Colour for Number Plate Holder

PhilD
honda305.com Member

Post by PhilD » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Paintwork looks really good. I have always liked the Scarlet Red and have decided to go for that on my 1964 CB72 which I'm currently restoring. I always thought it was Black since it's been that colour since I acquired it in 1972, but on stripping it down I found traces of the original Royal Blue. I also have a blue CB77 so feel happy about changing it to red as the two will go nicely together.
PhilD
1964 CB72
1964 CB77

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:22 pm

Nice job!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:17 am

Very satisfying, isn't it?

G

mcconnellfrance wrote:Finished my first attempt at spray painting yesterday.
For the chain guard and fork lower case, I had to remove the existing paint with strong paint remover. I found the Nitromors does not look at removing powder coating! I purchased some Clostremanns strong car paint remover and that did the trick.
I used Etch primer on the bare metal to get a key and then sprayed the finish coat. I finished off with two coats of lacquer. I am pleased with the result even if there is a hint of orange peel on the chain guard. As ever, the answer is in the preparation, thin coats and plenty of patience.

Imagescarlet-red-cellulose-spray-paint-on-cb77-parts_25750107043_o by Gordon McConnell, on Flickr
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:10 am

That red sure looks original. .............lm
G-Man wrote:Very satisfying, isn't it?

G

mcconnellfrance wrote:Finished my first attempt at spray painting yesterday.
For the chain guard and fork lower case, I had to remove the existing paint with strong paint remover. I found the Nitromors does not look at removing powder coating! I purchased some Clostremanns strong car paint remover and that did the trick.
I used Etch primer on the bare metal to get a key and then sprayed the finish coat. I finished off with two coats of lacquer. I am pleased with the result even if there is a hint of orange peel on the chain guard. As ever, the answer is in the preparation, thin coats and plenty of patience.

Imagescarlet-red-cellulose-spray-paint-on-cb77-parts_25750107043_o by Gordon McConnell, on Flickr

mcconnellfrance
honda305.com Member

Post by mcconnellfrance » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:51 pm

To all,

Thank you all for the kind words on the paint job. G-Man, you are correct about getting some satisfaction out of the paining. However, next time I am going to rig up a proper spray booth to deal with the extraction of paint vapours. Breathing that stuff through a mask in my workshop could get me high!

LM, glad the colour looks to be an authentic match for the original Honda colour. R S Bike Paints provided the paint off the shelf. Have a look at their website as they will mix up to match many proprietary colour shades for different classic bikes. Probably someone in the USA does the same thing. My only problem is that the existing tank and headlight shade is a slightly darker red so a full repainted will be on the cards for next winter!

PhilD, a red and a blue CB72/77 would look super together, much more attractive than a black one.

Incidentally, I got an excellent mini-spray gun from Screwfix in UK to run off my compressor. It is an Erbauer Mini HVLP Gravity-Fed Spray Gun. Excellent quality for £35 and good size for smaller motorcycle components.

Thanks again for the encouragement from all of you.

G

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Come on friend they all look good no matter the color.
Some just better than others. .....................:-). ......lm
mcconnellfrance wrote:To all,

Thank you all for the kind words on the paint job. G-Man, you are correct about getting some satisfaction out of the paining. However, next time I am going to rig up a proper spray booth to deal with the extraction of paint vapours. Breathing that stuff through a mask in my workshop could get me high!

LM, glad the colour looks to be an authentic match for the original Honda colour. R S Bike Paints provided the paint off the shelf. Have a look at their website as they will mix up to match many proprietary colour shades for different classic bikes. Probably someone in the USA does the same thing. My only problem is that the existing tank and headlight shade is a slightly darker red so a full repainted will be on the cards for next winter!

PhilD, a red and a blue CB72/77 would look super together, much more attractive than a black one.

Incidentally, I got an excellent mini-spray gun from Screwfix in UK to run off my compressor. It is an Erbauer Mini HVLP Gravity-Fed Spray Gun. Excellent quality for £35 and good size for smaller motorcycle components.

G

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:02 am

Gordon

I also prefer the red and blue bikes to the black ones. My blue '61 CB72 is going to sit alongside a '62 red one. I just associate black with British bikes like Velocettes & Vincents and like the cheery colour of those Hondas.

I have several small HVLP guns and keep one for primer and one for clear coat. All my spraying is done outdoors.

Are you going to Stafford next weekend?

G
mcconnellfrance wrote:To all,

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home