Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

2K spray cans vs. shooting single stage with HPLV gun

jbmorse
honda305.com Member

2K spray cans vs. shooting single stage with HPLV gun

Post by jbmorse » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:54 am

Folks, I want to strip and paint my "very ambitious project" CB77, and have been reading up and watching videos about painting bike parts. I have seen some beautiful results with 2K spray cans, but it seems like you need a lot of them. I have some experience spraying single stage urethane paint with an HPLV gun, namely painting my MG Midget last year. I honestly didn't do a great job, there is some unevenness and orange peel, but I know I can practice and improve my skills.

But if I have access to a big compressor and a spot to shoot with an HPLV, which method should I choose? And if I go the HPLV route, what products would work? Would base coat/clear make more sense than single stage? I'm hoping for blue:

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Re: 2K spray cans vs. shooting single stage with HPLV gun

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:48 pm

The orange peel on the midget can be flatted using 1000 grade wet and dry and then polished with a compound. Once polished it will look like a professional paint job. On the Honda you can achieve good results with rattle cans but to get a good coverage you would need at least three cans for the tank alone, another three for the frame and brackets and you are already up to about £70. Enough paint and thinner from an auto paint supplier will be a lot less and give a better depth of coverage. Making the paint on the tank resistant to the ethanol fuels can be a challenge but the fuel resistant lacquer works well if applied exactly as per the instructions.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home