Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

painting? rear shocks ca77 dream

jimpapa
honda305.com Member

painting? rear shocks ca77 dream

Post by jimpapa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:56 am

what do you do about the red plastic on the rear shocks on the ca77?
would it be best to lightly sand then paint.
or can it be stripped down/prime/paint/clear coat

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:45 pm

It depends on what type of plastic it is. Your best bet would be to sample some primers after sanding the plastic. Certain primers won't stick to certain plastics. Some primer/plastic combinations may actually react with the bottom coat of paint and tint the color as well. Just test it and assume you might need to start over. Good primer, paint a couple layers, then clear coat within 24 hours of your top coat of color. Should be golden.

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:48 pm

I've painted a lot of dream shock tops with no issues. I usually lightly bead blast to give it a little "tooth",clean well with a good degreaser, shoot with epoxy primer, finish with any modern two pack and you will have no worries.
Good luck
Randy

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Rustoleum makes a spray paint specifically for painting plastic. If they have a matching color, you could use that.

There is another product called "Bulldog" that is a prep for painting plastic. I've not used it personally, but I've had painters use it to paint plastic parts to match the color of a bike. It was thru them that I learned about it.

I think you might need an additive with the paint to. If the plastic has a higher coefficient of expansion than the paint, it could flake off if left in the sun.

regards,
Rob

dohcmike
honda305.com Member

Re: painting? rear shocks ca77 dream

Post by dohcmike » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:02 pm

jimpapa wrote:what do you do about the red plastic on the rear shocks on the ca77?
would it be best to lightly sand then paint.
or can it be stripped down/prime/paint/clear coat
Just give it a good rubbing with Commandant cleaner, they will turn out fine
That can even remove most scratches and you don,t have to work with toxic primers and paint.....
I, ve done that several times with good result!

MississippiDreamin
honda305.com Member

Post by MississippiDreamin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 am

If u use commit be sure to soap and water wash follwed by a wax and greese remover before painting...... But using a 320 lightly follwed be E Primmer and sanded and paint will work just fine....I like that better....

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home