Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

genuine paint finish

danielmoto
honda305.com Member

genuine paint finish

Post by danielmoto » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm

just wondered what the paint was like on other bikes as the honda cb72 ive got seems to have a good finish on the blue painted parts but the silvery colour on the mudguards and side panels seem to be a quick once over bare unprimed metal. Ive been told by my other uncle who has known this bike since day one when it was purchased new that my uncle mike never had any paint done to it, just seems a bit of a thin quick coat straight from the factory.
Any cure for the classic bug, as ive got it bad.

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 am

I don't remember running into primer on either of the Honda's I own. Even the red frame on my S90 did not have primer.

I don't think Honda built any of these bikes with the idea that they would be around for a long time and kept as proud treasures. They were built to be used, worn out and discarded. That's just my opinion.

But I also have to say that I've also run into color directly on metal with other marques. My '76 Triumph T140V had sidecovers that were not primed.

regards,
Rob

68Cb77
honda305.com Member

Post by 68Cb77 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 pm

No, I don't think there's any primer on them. But mine does now.
67 Honda CB77 Superhawk
82 Honda XR200R
70 Honda CB750 K0

danielmoto
honda305.com Member

Post by danielmoto » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:57 pm

many thanks for the replys, bikes got 43,000 miles on it and all metal including the back of the swing arm are sound so i rekon that it must have been good paint in the first place. My uncle used to have no other form of transport and rode it daily to and from work in rain or shine. Its amazing how well built it is out of all the bolts and screws i only had a couple of the crankcase cover bolts and the front engine mount bolt that needed a bit of work to loosen up.
This could be a bad thing to say now but i feel that i dont really wish to paint the bike as i like the look of the paint as it is, its got wear on the tank, side panels etc wear that was put there through daily use by my uncle its wear that seems to compliment it ie im old but still going strong, or do i need to rethink my plans ? Has anyone else just fixed up a cb mechanicaly and just rode it?

cheers danielmoto
Last edited by danielmoto on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any cure for the classic bug, as ive got it bad.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 pm

I did the MOUSE that way. .........lm

danielmoto wrote:many thanks for the replys, bikes got 44,000 miles on it and all metal including the back of the swing arm are sound so i rekon that it must have been good paint in the first place. My uncle used to have no other form of transport and rode it daily to and from work in rain or shine. Its amazing how well built it is out of all the bolts and screws i only had a couple of the crankcase cover bolts and the front engine mount bolt that needed a bit of work to loosen up.
This could be a bad thing to say now but i feel that i dont really wish to paint the bike as i like the look of the paint as it is, its got wear on the tank, side panels etc wear that was put there through daily use by my uncle its wear that seems to compliment it ie im old but still going strong, or do i need to rethink my plans ? Has anyone else just fixed up a cb mechanicaly and just rode it?

cheers danielmoto

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:31 pm

If the paint is sound and things are not rusty, then I'd keep it original. They are only original once and they took many years to get the way they are. Plus from a value POV they will always be worth more if they are still original.

regards,
Rob

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 am

Daniel

Sounds like you have some really good history there. My Matchless 350 wears its original paint with pride and, as these bikes were stove-enamelled, there was no primer but the paint was thick and durable.

Matchless G3 1966 at Derby Industrial Museum by graham.curtis, on Flickr

Most of the Hondas I've seen never had primer except for my 1960 C72 Dream which has a white base coat underneath the candy red topcoat.

If your bike is complete and original I would conserve it rather than restore it.

G
Attachments
Candy colour on white base coat
Candy colour on white base coat
Last edited by G-Man on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home