honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

IVD... Ion Vapor Deposition... refinishing metal parts...

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:01 pm

I called Dave and I find he is a friendly feller for sure.
He says the process isn't Boot Proof and is very costly.
I'll stay with Krylon. ............lm

rzgkane wrote:714-546-6907

http://www.embeeperformance.com/
LOUD MOUSE wrote:That I did for sure.
I'll be more than happy to ask the cost.
Do you have a phone number for the company?. ......lm

rzgkane wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:And the cost is?. ....lm
rzgkane wrote:
houseowax wrote:That looks fantastic! Any idea what that'd cost if one was to, say, not have a friend with access to free IVD coating?

Were your cases/covers etc in great shape to start, or did you prep them? What would one do about scratches, scuffs and gouges?

Congratulations- if that's anywhere near as durable as it sounds I think that's the best solution out there.
You touch on an area that I didn't give much thought, but now wish I had. IVD only coats the parts. It doesn't do anything (and isn't thick enough) to mask imperfections in the surface of the parts you are having treated. Therefore, start with parts that are not marred physically. Gouges, deep scratches, etc. will not be healed by IVD so get the parts smoothed out beforehand.

As for other prepwork, the shop I used bead blasted the parts for me, but they told me that they had to clean off more clumpy grease (especially in the right crankcase cover) than they would have liked to, so get the majority of the cleaning done first.

The name of the shop that did my parts is called Embee Coating in Santa Ana, CA. They did a great job and got it done quick.
You missed the opening post. It was free to me through a friend of the owner. I didn't ask how much it would have been.

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 pm

If not free I'd probably do the same!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I called Dave and I find he is a friendly feller for sure.
He says the process isn't Boot Proof and is very costly.
I'll stay with Krylon. ............lm

rzgkane wrote:714-546-6907

http://www.embeeperformance.com/
LOUD MOUSE wrote:That I did for sure.
I'll be more than happy to ask the cost.
Do you have a phone number for the company?. ......lm

rzgkane wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:And the cost is?. ....lm
rzgkane wrote:
houseowax wrote:That looks fantastic! Any idea what that'd cost if one was to, say, not have a friend with access to free IVD coating?

Were your cases/covers etc in great shape to start, or did you prep them? What would one do about scratches, scuffs and gouges?

Congratulations- if that's anywhere near as durable as it sounds I think that's the best solution out there.
You touch on an area that I didn't give much thought, but now wish I had. IVD only coats the parts. It doesn't do anything (and isn't thick enough) to mask imperfections in the surface of the parts you are having treated. Therefore, start with parts that are not marred physically. Gouges, deep scratches, etc. will not be healed by IVD so get the parts smoothed out beforehand.

As for other prepwork, the shop I used bead blasted the parts for me, but they told me that they had to clean off more clumpy grease (especially in the right crankcase cover) than they would have liked to, so get the majority of the cleaning done first.

The name of the shop that did my parts is called Embee Coating in Santa Ana, CA. They did a great job and got it done quick.
You missed the opening post. It was free to me through a friend of the owner. I didn't ask how much it would have been.
1965 CA77Dream

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home