Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Assistance Needed | Months Of Dealing With Paint Issues

pwilke1
honda305.com Member

Assistance Needed | Months Of Dealing With Paint Issues

Post by pwilke1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm looking for a good (yet not terribly expensive) person/shop to fix several paint issues I've had. A few months ago, I sent my tank to a local body shop to get repainted. They completed some body work (Bondo) and shot it with paint. After taking the tank home and filling the tank with gas, the paint began peeling along the gas cap opening and bubbling along the middle seam. The shop stripped the tank back down and told me it had hairline cracks along the seam which they proceeded to weld. Again they completed the body work, primed and painted the tank ensuring the paint would be good. However I've continued to have issues. The paint once again began peeling from under the gas cap. Rather than leaving the lip along the opening for the gas bare, they painted all the way over it so the gas is simply eating away at the paint. I've also noticed the paint seems very sensitive. It isn't nearly as durable as I would have expect (or had with my previous paint). It scratches and nicks very easy and has even pulled off along the seam along the top. To make matters worst, I had to reline the tank after receiving it back the second time because the previous liner had pulled away from the top of the tank after it was welded. Unfortunately I must have spilled one of the chemicals on the top of the tank when relining it which ate away at some of the clear coat.

At this point, I'm calling the $ I've already spent sunk cost however I'm hoping not to have to repaint the entire tank as amount I can spend is limited. I have $350 in the tank painting so far. I'm sure you can imagine, I really don't want to bring it back to the same shop. Side note, I dropped the tank off the first time at the end of October and have had a total of about 4 weeks riding time since this started.

I am willing to ship the tank to anyone who knows what they're doing. This bike is a rider so I'm not in need of 'show' quality, but I would still like quality work. I would need a pretty quick turnaround if at all possible.

1966 CA77 - Black

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks in advance.

Gun
honda305.com Member

Post by Gun » Fri May 04, 2012 5:17 pm

http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... =step+step

Ed Moore here details a fantastic painting method.
The Paint he recommends there has risen in price dramatically over the last decade or so, so instead just go to an auto parts paint store and request "a good hard single stage paint that won't be phased by gas"
I painted my bikes with that method for about a total of 50 bucks...
Get a cheap compressor
and a cheap gun.
you could paint a solid job for less than 150 bucks total and be able to paint your own things in the future.
'65 CB77
'66 CB450k0
'93 HD FXR

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home