honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

cool retro bikes - seat restoration, whatcha think?

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: cool retro bikes - seat restoration, whatcha think?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:10 am

How soon abter you complained did you get the cover?<br />I ask cause I was curious if the cover was more correct than the one I saw some time back. Does the material look close to the pebble like material on the original seat? ..................LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:55 am

LM, It was a while ago, but i think it took another 4 weeks or so. The finish is pebbled, pliable and seems to grip your hand as you slide it across it, so would not be slippery at all when seated on it. How close is it to original, I'm not sure. I don't remember what mine was like when I had one in the 60's and I'm not sure if any of the seats I've encountered still had the original cover on them to which I could compare. I've bought about 6 or 7 seats for parts, restored 3 to like new condition. Sorry can't be of more help. jwb

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:10 pm

Sounds like ya got a good seat.<br />I was just curious what it was like and if you were happy for the $$$ spent. .........LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:23 pm

The seat looks very nice, was it worth the 200.00 plus, I don't think so.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:33 pm

I've had many messages back and forth with him and I've seen his finiched product one time and although it was nice it wasn't correct nor did in my opinion meet the description of what to expect for the money charged. I will admit it's tough to find a good shop to do the CB or the CL72/77 seats but I finally found one here in town. .................LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

ebicocchi
honda305.com Member

Avoid Cool Retro Bikes

Post by ebicocchi » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:09 pm

I sent TD my CB350G seat last year for some "repairs only" work. When it came back several months later, I was impressed and asked if I could return it for a full restoration. He agreed and was more than happy to post my email as a testimonial on his web page.

Problem is, I sent the seat to him back in 2006. It is now nearly August 2007 and I haven't heard from him in over four months. I've sent several emails and voicemails, and haven't received a single reply since March.

By this point, I've invested several hundred dollars in that seat and I have nothing to show for it.

No matter how good his work is, it's just not worth it.

harleyrainmaker
honda305.com Member

Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Post by harleyrainmaker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:40 pm

I purchased one of their $750.00 seats. Was very unhappy with the grain match and the quality of the seat. The bracket hole to attach the seat to the frame was broken and he welded a large washer on the seat. $750 and I get a broken shoddy repaired seat? I asked for a refund and he became beligerant and nasty. Called me names when I got defensive. REFUSED to refund my money under any circumstances. He did offer to replace the seat when he made another one but knowing his reputation for delays I declined. I was stuck with the seat and ended up selling it for $400 on ebay. And yes I did let the buyer know about the "washer repair" Let the buyer beware. To date this is the worst experience I have ever had in my life with a business. I was reluctant to pay that for a seat but wanted the best I could get for the money.....bad decision. In my opinion you could do a lot better at a local upholstery shop. Ed Moore fixed me up with a seat later and it is a perfect match.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home