Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rusty spokes

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Rusty spokes

Post by mikescottt » Wed May 18, 2005 10:31 pm

I have rusty spokes on my 64 Dream. anybody have a good fix without a complete tear down.?The chrome wheels are OK. Is there anyplace that restores old spoke wheels?

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Rusty spokes

Post by kustommusic » Fri May 20, 2005 10:35 pm

Mike, You ask alot of questions!! Really that is a good thing, I have replied to a couple and don't mean to hog it all but I just went thru getting some used spokes for my cb77. They weren't too bad but I rubbed them with steel wool and WD40 they shined up real well. If your are brown with rust I doubt they will come back but if they are just dull this method will work. I believe there are places on the web that sell spoke sets I just don't know where. There was some info about spokes on this board just don't remember where. Keep asking questions! hopfully others are able and willing to answer too. Good Luck with the Dream! Steve Greer

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:16 pm

I just figured out how to work this system. Thanks for the reply and keep looking for me. Having fun, Mike

denfam4
honda305.com Member

Post by denfam4 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:54 pm

Hey Mike,<br /><br />don't know if you found anything yet but here are my suggestions...<br /><br />1) Naval Jelly works great on rust. If after you clean them up they are dull and chrome gone, spray them with some &quot;chrome&quot; spray paint. The results are very good.<br /><br />2)Buchanan is a very god source for new spoke sets. I went with Stainless so that I never have to worry about rest or dull chrome again. You can go to their web site: <br /><br />http://www.buchananspokes.com/index.html

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:32 am

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of SS spokes. How much did they cost? Do you know a good chrome shop? I need to rechrome my rims.<br /><br />Mike

denfam4
honda305.com Member

Post by denfam4 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:37 pm

Hi Mike,<br /><br />I don't recall what I paid but Buchanan has pricing on their web site. As for a good chrome shop...those are hard to come by these days. I am still loking for one in my area. I purchased a set of vintage Akront shouldered aluminum rims to use on my bike. I polished them and they look great. <br /><br />Ray

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home