Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Standard Bars to Flat Bars

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Standard Bars to Flat Bars

Post by Michael Stoic » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:37 pm

[forwarded from email]<br /><br />Any ideas about converting 1966 cb77 with standard bars to flat bars? Can I use the cables , clutch, brake and grips off my original stock bars? I have the flat bars. Good idea or bad? Thanks for any help<br /><br />Don<br />janicel@sonic.net<br />

leonvjames
honda305.com Member

Re: Standard Bars to Flat Bars

Post by leonvjames » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:46 am

My 64 CB77 came with flat bars and I converted to high bars using a set from a 150cc Honda. I had to make longer brake and clutch cables but was able to buy a Honda throttle cable that was the correct length. The handgrips and twist grip fitted ok and the existing wiring was just long enough. No problems at all. Just make sure the diameter of the bars are the same and is there holes to thread the wiring through at the centre and inner ends of the handgrips or lever clamps.<br />Good luck, Leon.

bultaco250
honda305.com Member

Post by bultaco250 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:10 pm

This is most likely too late, but here goes anyway. <br />I made this conversion without changing any cables on my Superhawk. It's just a matter of having a bit of extra cable length to deal with, and finding a clean way to tuck and loop them around the steering head and light. It'll feel a bit sportier and more controlled if you use the rear-set peg position. The brake side is a &quot;no brainer&quot; because of the cable actuation. As I remember, the shifter side simply needs a longer linkage fabricated.<br />Michael, I sent a picture of this bike (along with the Scrambler and Dream) a year or two back. They were in a set with a white studio background. I can send again, along with detail shots of the Superhawk, before and after restoration, if you'd like.<br /><br />Kevin (the guy with the 305 Hardtail Flattracker)<br />

bultaco250
honda305.com Member

Post by bultaco250 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:14 pm

BTW<br />I had also mounted a set of bars from the mid '70's Honda CB400-4. They only have about 1&quot; of rise and are good for about anything. They aren't as drastic as the flat &quot;drag&quot; bars and have a comfortable bend. I even used them on my MB5.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home