Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Spokes / nipples

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
philrock
honda305.com Member

Spokes / nipples

Post by philrock » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:52 am

When I bought my 1966 CB77, it came with a badly needed set of spokes and nipples (threads match the originals). The original nipples were nickel plated brass. The new nipples have a body diameter about 0.8 mm smaller than the originals. Originals were a nice close fit in the holes. New ones are very sloppy - seems like a really bad idea. I have not been able to locate new nipples that match the original body diameter; ads on the Internet mostly do not specify body diameter. I've been considering stripping and zinc plating the originals, though I imagine this would be more expensive then new nipples, if I could find them. Anybody know where I can get new nipples with the correct body diameter (6.58 mm)?

Anybody ever polish and clear coat brass nipples?

Phil

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Try Buchanan's Spoke & Rim http://www.buchananspokes.com

philrock
honda305.com Member

Post by philrock » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:25 pm

Seadog,

Thanks for your post. I talked to Buchanan's a few days ago. They can make up custom spoke/nipple sets for about $105 per wheel. They don't sell nipples alone - they assure me the threads won't match my spokes.

My plater is going to try stripping a few old nipples and get back to me. If that doesn't work out, I'll get these:

http://4into1.com/front-and-rear-spoke- ... uper-hawk/

Phil

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home