Half wave rectifier

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Half wave rectifier

Post by Tim Allman » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:00 pm

deuce_7 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:11 am
I have access to a complete Honda Workshop Manual for Honda 65 series and Honda 50 series models. Published in August 1964. It's a large file (50+ MB) so it would have to be emailed. The workshop manual has several pages discussing the charging system and selenium rectifier, including graphs, photos, diagrams, and schematics.

This forum site accepts photo files only.

I can email the manual to an address you provide.
Many thanks. I've sent you a PM with my email address.

Tim

djohns
honda305.com Member

Post by djohns » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:24 pm

Thank you, I have the same manual saved in my cloud. Ain’t the internet great! You are right, the graphs are there but lacking in description of the lighting coil type. I think I have it figured out, just waiting on my oscilloscope to verify. I will post results later. Thank you all for the help.

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:29 pm

The S65 Manual has been emailed.

FWIW, The manual describes selenium rectifiers for specific models:
The C50M and C65M are equipped with a full wave rectifier. The C50, C65, S50 and S65 are equipped with half wave rectifiers.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

djohns
honda305.com Member

Post by djohns » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:52 pm

Last night I had a nightmare where my high school physics teacher was beating me over the head with a bar magnet. He kept saying North South over and over. The magnet broke before my skull, yet he still kept repeating North South. That’s when I had an epiphany, the coil can’t be half wave. As north passes the iron core the pulse goes from zero to max positive. As south passes the wave goes from zero to max negative. The rectifier only processes one half the wave because only one wire is connected. The scope confirmed this and also showed this is not a smooth wave but pretty nasty and jagged. Thanks to everyone for keeping me sane and hope we all learned from this. And thanks to Mr. Dusek for stepping into my dream!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home