Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

DREAM DIED AGAIN! NO SPARK!

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

DREAM DIED AGAIN! NO SPARK!

Post by ryan_siefrin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:10 am

Two days ago I was riding my CA77 home from work and it just died on me. I couldn't figure it out at the time. I had penalty of juice in the batter and fuel galore. Well yesterday I pulled the spark plugs and they looked good. Then I tried to crank it over. I didn't see any spark arcing across the plug gap. This leads me to believe that my biked died because of this problem. <br /><br />So now I need to figure out why I’m getting no spark. I've tried to figure it out last night, but' I’ve had no luck. The ignition coil has two wires going to it. Ones black and the others green. The black wire y's off and goes to my turn signal relay and the other green wire goes to it also. I know it' getting power, I was trying to crank it over yesterday and the ignition coil was getting really hot. <br /><br />What do you guys thinks wrong? Do I have a bad coil? Or maybe it's something to do with timing telling it when to fire? The points or whatever. <br /><br />please help me diagnose why this is going on.<br /><br />thanks,<br />
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Re: DREAM DIED AGAIN! NO SPARK!

Post by Pigeonalley » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:16 am

Ryan,<br /><br />Number one reason for no spark is points related! Dirty or in this case I would check to see if they are gaped properly.<br /><br />Email me if I can be of help. Rob
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Re: DREAM DIED AGAIN! NO SPARK!

Post by ryan_siefrin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:38 am

I called up Steve Greer the other day and on the phone he helped me diagnose the problem. I’M not getting any voltage to the&quot; point” assembly. However, with the bike on I get a voltage to the coil, but when I touch the metal bracket that it bolts onto the frame it is very hot. I think the coil/condenser has grounded out somewhere and is leaking its power back to the batter. This is what I suspect has happened. Even if the point was dirty or off it would still get voltage to it right? I guess it wouldn't if that wire had a sort in it. <br /><br />It just doesn't make sense for it to be a bad connection, but I’ll check. This looks like it's going to one of those winter projects. <br />
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home