Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

converting your head light to a H-4 bulb

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

converting your head light to a H-4 bulb

Post by ryan_siefrin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:46 pm

parts needed. <br /><br /><br />1. 1x CA 72 headlight fits CA77 and also may fit others Head light housing also. I got it from classiccycleparts.com on eBay for 42 dollars shipped. <br /><br />2. 1x H-4 bulb, can be found at any auto parts store. Make sure it has some holes drilled in each of the prongs.<br /><br />3. Black RTV or any thing that forms an air tight seal and can stand the heat.<br /><br />4. 3x #3 machine screws &amp; nuts (home depo, ACE, lows)<br /><br />Now, this is what I did next on my 1965 CA77 Dream, your application may be slightly different or perhaps not even close.<br /><br />step 1. &quot;Preparing wires&quot;<br />Now, get your wire cutters out and cut all the old wires off your headlight. I had a red a blue and a black. Then strip the ends of these three wires and crimp on eye terminals. This will allow you to retain your stock connections to your wire harness. (Red= low beam, blue = high beam, black = ground)<br /><br />Step 2. &quot;Installing bulb&quot;<br />Check H-4 bulb and make sure it works fits in the Head light housing. When I did this it turned out to be a prefect fit the H-4 bulb. Then put a nice bead of RTV around this surface to seal the headlight. Then let the assembly dry overnight.<br /><br />Step 3. &quot;Connecting the Headlight to wiring&quot;<br />Now connect the wires to the Headlight. Take the bolts you purchased that fit thru the holes on your H-4 bulbs prongs and bolt your wires eye terminals. Then connect the wires to the harness and bolt the headlight down using the 6mm screw on the bottom. <br /><br />(NOTES: It may be necessary to use some blue or green locktite on these small screws so they don't vibrate loose, I have not done this but I did have one come loose once. Also it doesn't matter what prong you connect which wire to, at least I couldn't tell. I also bent the prongs back 90 deg so they were parallel with the headlight, thus giving me more clearance from the Speedo cable.)<br /><br />One other thing that happened because of this conversion is my read light that used to light up when the high beam is on now now stays on all the time. I would speculate that the red wire is now in series with the blue causing this to say on. But I never really investigated this phenomenon I just am happy I have a high and low beam headlight that I can easily replace.<br /><br />If there are any further questions please feel free to ask, I can also get pictures eventually of the assembled headlight.<br /><br />IF this write up helps you in any way and would and you would like to donate some money, please direct your funds to Steve Greer.<br />
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: converting your head light to a H-4 bulb

Post by kustommusic » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Thanks Ryan I need the dough!!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home