Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Charging problem 69 Dream

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
shad_dash85
honda305.com Member

Charging problem 69 Dream

Post by shad_dash85 » Tue May 18, 2004 1:32 am

Greetings,<br /><br />My Dream alternator is only generating approximately 11.5 volts. It seems like a simple system and I feel I can troubleshoot the problem myself? Otherwise the bike runs excellent and can be kick started all the time, but the started will not crank the ole gal over. Can anyone tell me where to get info or schematics or suggest a troubleshooting technique? Thanks. Shad.

ray
honda305.com Member

Re: Charging problem 69 Dream

Post by ray » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:33 am

My C77 is the same, and the low charge rate is probably related to the capacity of the battery. The starter motor on these old bikes is quite a large amp draw (by todays standards) and the alternator is a low output, (enuff to keep the battery &quot;up&quot;, but not charge it) and I was unable to buy a battery with enuff amps to fit in the battery box to work it successfully. so.....<br />kick start it and LIVE WITH IT!!! CHEEERS

Lee
honda305.com Member

Re: Charging problem 69 Dream

Post by Lee » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:52 am

shad_dash85 wrote:<br />Greetings,<br /><br />My Dream alternator is only generating approximately 11.5 volts. It seems like a simple system and I feel I can troubleshoot the problem myself? Otherwise the bike runs excellent and can be kick started all the time, but the started will not crank the ole gal over. Can anyone tell me where to get info or schematics or suggest a troubleshooting technique? Thanks. Shad.<br />
<br /><br />First, I'd buy a 1.5A 12 volt Diehard charger at Sears and connect it to the battery when parked at home. Then I'd buy a 25 amp full bridge rectifier at an Electronic store and replace the original Selenium rectifier. Next, gap your NGK D8HS spark plugs at 0.018&quot;; this takes care of the reduced voltage available when using the electric starter. This should make your ole gal happy. There is the matter of connecting wires for the bridge rectifier properly. The (+) output needs to go to the red wire that goes to the + side of the battery. The (-) output needs to go to ground. The remaining two terminals of the bridge rectifier need to be connected to the other two wires that were on the original rectifier.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home