Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My solenoid has gone bad.

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

My solenoid has gone bad.

Post by Michael Stoic » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:50 am

[forwarded from honda305.com email]<br /><br />My solenoid has gone bad. I found a similar one at the local car parts store and made the connections. There's not even a clicking sound. Maybe I ran the battery down. It's charging now. Is there a reason this solenoid won't work?<br /><br />Boyd<br />boydnkaty@comcast.net

chuckspeed
honda305.com Member

Re: My solenoid has gone bad.

Post by chuckspeed » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:50 am

I've had expericences with Honda solenoids not pulling in when the battery gets weak; it's usually a sign that the battery needs to be replaced. <br /><br />Also - you may want to check your contacts and wiring to insure when you push the starter button you have power to the solenoid coil. These are 30-40 year old contacts; they corrode!

Boyd
honda305.com Member

Post by Boyd » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:35 pm

OK, battery is good. Bike has stripped kick-starter but does push-start easily. Old solenoid would just click-click when starter button pushed. New solenoid does not click when connections made with screwdriver. Perhaps the starter was the problem all along? <br />Boyd.

Boyd
honda305.com Member

Post by Boyd » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:05 pm

ran cable from solenoid (battery) to starter. lots of sparks, no turning... short in the starter?

chuckspeed
honda305.com Member

Post by chuckspeed » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:56 pm

Try pulling the cover off the starter sprocket and rotate it a few times to make sure it turns freely. If it does, then try to 'hit' it again with some current - sometimes old starters have (for lack of a better term) flat spots. They won't work due to armature irregularities. <br /><br />If you get it goin' after that - you may wish to check the brushes and armature of the starter. They do age - and this is old stuff. <br /><br />In the event your starter is completely cooked - email me offline and I'll send you the one I have off the Dream bobber. I have no need for it.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:24 pm

It sounds like a bad starter but, I'm wondering what kind of solenoid you bought at the parts store. Most automotive solenoids (relays) at least Ford require 12volts to pull in the coil. Our CB's andCA's require a ground to pull in the starter relay. So you might check into that too,after sorting out the starter. Good luck,Steve Greer

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home