Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Lamp conversion

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:57 pm

But you don't need to readjust the bulb angle as we did in the 50's/60's. ...................lm
G-Man wrote:Seadog

I did suspect that...

We had sealed beam lights in cars for a while until H4 halogen bulbs took over. Now its just a mess of proprietary headlamp bulbs. You need an encyclopaedia to work out which bulb you need these days.... :-(

G

Seadog wrote:
G-Man wrote:Great work!

Does anyone know why American Hondas used those crazy sealed beam headlights when the rest of the world got headlamps with replaceable bulbs? Was it a legal thing or some other reason?

G
Dunno, G. Probably so they could soak more $ out of us.

Cbaumert
honda305.com Member

Exact parts for headlight conversion

Post by Cbaumert » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Hello guys,

Can you please provide a parts list for what you used in the conversion? I am going to do this conversion but don't really know what to use. Also, did you have a problem with the new led headlight running down your battery? Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Re: Exact parts for headlight conversion

Post by Seadog » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:43 am

Cbaumert wrote:Hello guys,

Can you please provide a parts list for what you used in the conversion? I am going to do this conversion but don't really know what to use. Also, did you have a problem with the new led headlight running down your battery? Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
The hardest part is finding an H4 bulb base. I used a regular drill to put a hole in the existing bulb base, a piece of coat hanger or an ice pick to shatter the old bulb, a propane torch to unsolder the old bulb base and a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole to fit the new H4 base. I used heat resistant JB Weld to attach the new base and a Dremel drum sander to shape the cured JB Weld. My pics and text just about say it all. My Dream is not up and running yet, so I can't speak to your other questions, but an LED bulb should be an advantage over the old incandescent.

Maximum Carnage
honda305.com Member

Post by Maximum Carnage » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Great work, Seadog

Would you be willing to do something like this for a fellow forum member?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:10 am

Maximum Carnage wrote:Great work, Seadog

Thanks, MC. Others have asked if I could convert their headlights as well and I appreciate their interest, but my plate is full. I just don't have the time to keep up with my own projects. The task isn't difficult and this thread gives you illustrated step by step instructions; why not give it a try yourself? If you're not sure about it, find another headlight for your experiment.

Maximum Carnage
honda305.com Member

Post by Maximum Carnage » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:52 am

Doesn't hurt to ask, it's sourcing the parts that probably the hardest. That bulb holder.....
Again great work with a great write-up.
Seadog wrote:
Maximum Carnage wrote:Great work, Seadog

Thanks, MC. Others have asked if I could convert their headlights as well and I appreciate their interest, but my plate is full. I just don't have the time to keep up with my own projects. The task isn't difficult and this thread gives you illustrated step by step instructions; why not give it a try yourself? If you're not sure about it, find another headlight for your experiment.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:31 am

No, it never hurts to ask.

The H4 bulb bases are, indeed, the hardest part to find. I used these:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Quartz-Ha ... ,2980.html
Expensive and wasteful, since I used nothing but the bases, which had to be modified.

I did find exactly what was needed on a German website, but they are no longer available and an email to them confirmed that they would not be in the foreseeable future.

http://www.russian4x4.de/en/Spare-Parts ... -Niva.html

If you try this project I wish you luck.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home