Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Selenium Rectifier

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
LittleRock
honda305.com Member

Selenium Rectifier

Post by LittleRock » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:24 pm

Is there a way to test these things? I jumped the solenoid to start my bike which is in the middle of being restored, but I thought I read somewhere that the yellow /red wire was for the start button and when grounded it should start the bike but it did not. On the other hand, my ignition switch is broken, it rotates 360 degrees, so I just turned it until the taillight came on and I had spark at the plug, and that is where I left it to start the bike, so maybe it is in the wrong position for the yellow/red wire to work. The motor is back off the bike now, but if I can test the rectifier, I can go ahead and order a new one if needed. Not sure what it does either. Thanks for any help, Terry

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Re: Selenium Rectifier

Post by prima5star » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:20 am

To bypass the solenoid you should jump the fat wires. When you press the electric start button you are effectively grounding the yellow and red wire which energizes the solenoid coil, moves a jumper and bridges the fat wires. I bet it's a battery issue as a new strong battery barely has the amperage to turn the engine over more than a few times. You can take the solenoid apart and clean it up in there, but I've never had much luck...<br /><br />Matt
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Post by ryan_siefrin » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:20 am

I would check to see if you battery is charging. The Stators on these bikes are not that strong so you'll only get a slightly more voltage than the battery normaly has. <br /><br />If you want go to radio shack and buy one. They're only a few dollars.
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

LittleRock
honda305.com Member

Post by LittleRock » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:27 pm

So does the rectifier have anything to do with the start button (in my case, grounding the yellow/red wire) not make the solenoid engage. It sounds like the rectifier is just part of the charging system and not the starting system, is this correct? Could the ignition switch be in the wrong position, even though there is spark, to prevent the y/r wire from sending the signal to the solenoid to engage? I guess I can test it in different positions, but the motor is off the bike now. Thanks for the info, folks. Terry

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:16 pm

You are right. The Selenium rectifier has nothing to do with starting. All it does is turn the AC signal from the alternator to a DC signal and bleed off extra charge as heat. Do yourself a favor and get a solid state rectifier as suggested from Radio Shack. I originally answered your question without thinking about the rectifier.<br />Matt
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

LittleRock
honda305.com Member

Post by LittleRock » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:31 pm

Thanks Matt, by taking the rectifier out of the starting system I am pretty sure I can trace the problem out. Not sure if my recitifier works or not but am glad to know radio shack has a replacement when I get to it. Terry

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:13 am

You have me confused when you say remove rectifier from starter system. There is a starter switch in the system and it is on it's own battery ccircuit with a Yellow/Red wire from the button on the bars (ground) and Black/Red wire for the 12 volts with a Large Black wire from the battery and another to the starter motor. Rectifier?. ...........LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home