Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 turn signals

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat May 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Nice job, Phil! The bracket polished up really well and the installation looks great. What do you plan for the front?

I see you're in the process of installing a rectifier/regulator from Charlie's Place. How will you wire it in?

philrock
honda305.com Member

Post by philrock » Sun May 15, 2016 12:05 pm

Thanks Seadog,

The instructions that came with the regulator were a bit sketchy about whether certain wires stay connected or get disconnected. I called Charlie and asked him about this. The attached diagram shows how I interpreted our conversation. I'll send it to Charlie for review before I fire up the circuit.

Note that I'm using a trailer taillight converter for the rear turn signals. It's in the photo below near the gold regulator/rectifier.

Disclaimer - I suggest nobody uses the diagram until I verify that it works.

The turn signal assemblies have the same thread on the mounting stud as the headlight mounting bolt - M10 x 1.25. Makes installation of front turn signals a piece of cake - see photo.

Phil
Attachments
1683BB-CB77-Turn-Signal-Wiring-Diagram.jpg
1683BB-CB77-Turn-Signal-Wiring-Diagram.jpg (188.31 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
CB77-Turn-Signal-Front-Right.jpg
CB77-Turn-Signal-Front-Right.jpg (136.19 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
CB77-Turn-Signal-Front-Left.jpg
CB77-Turn-Signal-Front-Left.jpg (133.11 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
CB77-Regulator-Converter.jpg
CB77-Regulator-Converter.jpg (125.32 KiB) Viewed 3339 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun May 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Excellent work!

G

philrock wrote:Seadog,

I made brackets yesterday and today. Photos below. Started with raw 4130 steel - wanted good strength where it bears on the narrow shoulder on the shock stud. Man - is that stuff hard to polish!!

You sure are right about the wiring being easier this way - thanks a million for the idea!!

When it's time for final install, I'll add heat shrink (and maybe caulk) to seal where the wires enter the taillight assembly.

Phil
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun May 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Ahhhh, I wondered why the red lenses; you're not just adding turn signals. Good idea and very nicely done with that converter.

Thanks for that wiring diagram. I have a Charlie's Place unit for my Dream. I picked up a Kohler for the Super Hawk. In your diagram, why cut the yellow wire at the switch? Couldn't you just abandon all of the stator wires on the harness side and run a new 3 wire harness from the stator to the new rectifier? That way, you could always revert back if need be. Where is power for the headlight coming from?
philrock wrote:Thanks Seadog,

The instructions that came with the regulator were a bit sketchy about whether certain wires stay connected or get disconnected. I called Charlie and asked him about this. The attached diagram shows how I interpreted our conversation. I'll send it to Charlie for review before I fire up the circuit.

Note that I'm using a trailer taillight converter for the rear turn signals. It's in the photo below near the gold regulator/rectifier.

Disclaimer - I suggest nobody uses the diagram until I verify that it works.

The turn signal assemblies have the same thread on the mounting stud as the headlight mounting bolt - M10 x 1.25. Makes installation of front turn signals a piece of cake - see photo.

Phil

philrock
honda305.com Member

Post by philrock » Tue May 17, 2016 11:39 am

Not cutting any wires - just disconnecting and abandoning in place - I agree that the ability to revert to original is a good idea, and I will be able to do that.

I talked to Charlie yesterday. Either he changed his mind or I remembered wrong. At any rate, I'm revising the wiring diagram per yesterday's conversation with him, and also per discrepancies I found yesterday between my bike and the "official" Honda wiring diagram. I'll explain the discrepancies and other changes when I post the revised diagram.

The yellow and pink wires at the headlight switch do not actually connect to the headlight. When you turn the headlight on, the yellow and pink wires get connected to each other, resulting in a slightly stronger output from the magneto. The headlight gets power from the IG terminal, which is 12 volts switched.

Phil

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Tue May 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Winker relay bracket, for mounting the relay to the frame pipe (between the air filters)
Attachments
P4280105.JPG
P4280105.JPG (127.62 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks, Phil. I actually knew that the stator just charges the battery and doesn't power anything. I guess I was just confused that I did not initially see the power source for the lights on your diagram. I'm looking forward to your revision.
philrock wrote:Not cutting any wires - just disconnecting and abandoning in place - I agree that the ability to revert to original is a good idea, and I will be able to do that.

I talked to Charlie yesterday. Either he changed his mind or I remembered wrong. At any rate, I'm revising the wiring diagram per yesterday's conversation with him, and also per discrepancies I found yesterday between my bike and the "official" Honda wiring diagram. I'll explain the discrepancies and other changes when I post the revised diagram.

The yellow and pink wires at the headlight switch do not actually connect to the headlight. When you turn the headlight on, the yellow and pink wires get connected to each other, resulting in a slightly stronger output from the magneto. The headlight gets power from the IG terminal, which is 12 volts switched.

Phil

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home