Admirers

CB77 Headlight Dimmer / Hi - Lo Beam Switch

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
akpasta
honda305.com Member

CB77 Headlight Dimmer / Hi - Lo Beam Switch

Post by akpasta » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:41 am

Hey Folks,

My bar-mounted hi beam low beam dimmer switch died this morning. Headlight is just permanently off now. It's this item here -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Genuine-Ho ... m570.l1313

I tried pulling it apart once because the switch was getting kind of loose and I remember it seemed kind of tricky to get to the internals of the switch contacts. I left as-is and figured I'd get to it when it was finally too loose to function at all. That time has come!

Is this an item that can be repaired? Replacing it seems rather costly.

Thank you!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: CB77 Headlight Dimmer / Hi - Lo Beam Switch

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:56 am

It depends upon your skill level. It's a pretty simple switch but if you are not comfortable with soldering and checking wires for breaks / shorts, you may be better off spending the money on a replacement......

G
akpasta wrote:Hey Folks,

Is this an item that can be repaired? Replacing it seems rather costly.

Thank you!
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

akpasta
honda305.com Member

Post by akpasta » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:05 pm

My solders are good but they are messy.

It feels like the mechanical switch itself, not a wire. It's just totally loose, doesn't stay up or down. Like there's no contact at all. Guess my problem was I had trouble getting at it when I tried to take it apart last time.

akpasta
honda305.com Member

Post by akpasta » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Hahaha, ironically whatever broke in the hi/lo beam switch is now causing my main fuse to blow whenever the lights are switched to on. So I'll be digging into this guy tonight after all hahaha. I was very lucky to be close to a hardware store when the fuse blew!

akpasta
honda305.com Member

Post by akpasta » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 pm

So I pulled it apart and sure enough the spring that pushes the connecting but was broken so the switch was not making any contact. Question. I get batteries pretty cheap and my charging system is strong. I just wired the hi beam and low beam together and have them both on all the time till I replace the spring. Is it okay to run both beams at the same time?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Hi/Low Beam

Post by DJM » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I certainly wouldn't recommend wiring the headlight so that both beams are lit all the time.

Either the bulb will overheat and fail or the battery will go flat and the bike will stop, wouldn't give odds on which will happen first!

Why not wire it so that just the low beam is lit until you get the switch fixed.

akpasta
honda305.com Member

Re: Hi/Low Beam

Post by akpasta » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:18 pm

DJM wrote:I certainly wouldn't recommend wiring the headlight so that both beams are lit all the time.

Either the bulb will overheat and fail or the battery will go flat and the bike will stop, wouldn't give odds on which will happen first!

Why not wire it so that just the low beam is lit until you get the switch fixed.
Ya, better judgement caught up with me when I reminded myself how much a sealed beam honda head lamp costs to replace and I disconnected the low beam wire this morning. The lamp felt too hot to risk.

Looking online I can't seem to find a replacement spring that fits into the switch, or a replacement switch. I'll probably end up taking a trip to the hardware store looking for random springs that might fit and maybe I can cut it down to size. Otherwise, I'll just have the swith permanently wired for hi beam. I don't think I'll really miss the "fast charging" feature when you switch between low and hi beam. I don't run into a dead battery ever, unless its time to replace the battery and that only ever costs me like $25 every other year or so at the soonest.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home