Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Hit The Horn Button, Blew The Fuse

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Hit The Horn Button, Blew The Fuse

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:02 pm

I'm trying to track down why my 1963 CA77E headlight doesn't work, and discovered the black wire coming from the horn button in the handlebars needed a male end on it, so I replaced that.

In the headlight nacelle, there is a black wire with a female end on it that comes up from the wiring harness - I assumed was the connection, since there's nothing else that connects to THAT wire.

The schematic says a Black wire runs from one of TWO black wires from the IG connection on the switch - one goes to the horn, the other to the 3W Neutral lamp, the horn, coil and the stop switch. I also bypassed the horn leads (I have no horn) with a piece of wire just to see if I have/had continuity, and that didn't seem to affect anything.

The other Black wire goes from IG on the key switch to a 5-wire connector.

My thought was, if the horn button was NOT pressed in, I would not have continuity through the switch, but if I DID press the horn button, it woud show me continutiy through the switch.
I pressed the horn button and blew the 15amp fuse on the battery. ???

Looking at the schematic, it appears it maybe didn't like it when I bypassed the horn switch, but can anybody here me tell me (1) why the fuse blew, and (2) why am I not getting my headlight bulb to light up? According to the schematic, the red wire from the battery is isolated from the black wire going to the IG connection...The light itself tests good, I have it connected to the blue and red wires coming off the handlebar, I've tried grounding it out too - but I plug it in and nothing!

My coil is still getting warm, too, but the bike does fire..

And to make it MORE interesting, I don't believe the starter is the original - it looks like a Dream switch - it has 8 wires coming out the back of it - but some of the colors don't match up.

For instance, the wire for the little light bulb in the speedometer is brown in my bike, but the schematic shows it as Black and Yellow; and the only dual connector I have in mine is hard-wired to a green wire that connects to the switch!

Any ideas are better than what I got...

???

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home