Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Stator coil burning

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
garncarz
honda305.com Member

CA77 Stator coil burning

Post by garncarz » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Smoke coming from the alternator cover. Inside one coil is black and very hot, even with key off. Buy a replacement stator and regulator or is this a symptom of something else?A ny advice on where to start troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_3343.JPG

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: CA77 Stator coil burning

Post by DJM » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:50 am

If the coil is hot even with the ignition switched off then either two wires are shorted together somewhere or more lkely the rectifier is shot.

Replace it with a modern solid state device, regulator/rectifiers are as cheap as chips and possibly even better than just replacing the rectifier.

The coil may have escaped damage so replace the rectifier first and then see if the bike is still charging OK.

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:53 pm

Yeah, I've been using a Kohler voltage regulator for about 5 years. Definitely better than the OEM selenium rectifier. Maybe it finally died. I'm going to replace both the regulator and the stator. Sparks and smoke when I turn the stator, even with the key off. Can the stator be replaced without taking the right side cover (read, header, brake pedal, foot rest, kick starter, cover, etc) off?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:52 pm

I've never worked on a C/CA engine but I doubt it vey much. You certainly couldn't do it on a CB or CL engine but the alternator cover on those is smaller than the C/CA cover. The stator windings are mounted on an aluminium base casting but almost always you would want to leave the two bolted together and replace the whole unit, that's how Honda supplied them.

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 am

A little piece of wire that runs between the coils got loose and the rotor rubbed through the enamel and shorted. Ended up replacing the stator and the voltage regulator just to be safe. Thanks.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home