Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Wiring Challenges OMG

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Wiring Challenges OMG

Post by ZillahBill » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:47 pm

I bought a wiring harness off Ebay, made in Thailand, for a CB77 and I can't find any wires the same color as the original. I am going back to the original wiring harness from 1965 and I really don't think it is that bad. I've got some unaccounted for wires and an inline fuse that I can't find on the wiring diagram and I think have been patched in some time in the past. I think they may be wires for turn signals but I'm not sure. If you would take a look at the pictures and give me your opinion I would appreciate it. There are currently no turn signals on the bike but there are holes in the rear fender so some type of turn signals may have been added.
Attachments
Elec4.jpg
Elec3.jpg
Elec2.jpg
Elec1.jpg

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Wiring Challenges OMG

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:58 pm

It's pretty clear that the 'new' wiring is not for a CB77. You do however, have a source of wire and connectors that may be useful in restoring your old harness to working condition.

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:22 pm

Old wiring is always a special pleasure.

Best thing I can say is go one wire at a time and take lots of notes.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:20 pm

My harness had problems, especially with the terminals. I found suitable terminals on Ebay which weren't terribly expensive and they worked well. If you search Ebay for "open barrel bullet terminal" you will find them. Get a crimping tool too. Some sets of terminals come with crimpers for remarkably little cost. I bought one, expecting that it would be of poor quality but it was better than that and worked well.

There are two sizes used on the CB77, 3.9 mm and 4.0 mm. The 0.1 mm difference is small but you may need both depending upon what you do. The 3.9 mm male terminals fall out of the 4.0 mm females and the 4.0 mm male terminals will not fit into 3.9 mm females.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home