Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

new battery for '67 cb77 superhawk

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
zeeman
honda305.com Member

new battery for '67 cb77 superhawk

Post by zeeman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:41 pm

i am looking for a new battery for my superhawk. has anyone looked into Shorai LFX Lithium Powersports Battery, LFX09A2-BS12, 9Ah 12V eq, "A" polarity, Case Type 2?

can anyone recommend a battery?

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

cb77 battery

Post by jleewebb » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:01 am

I found the best price on my Motobat MB9U at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/MotoBatt-MB9U-Bat ... B0042LLB88

It comes with a couple of spacers on bottom for other applications which need to be removed for it to fit a CB77.

I bought a battery tender to go with it; they reccomend pre-charging even though it comes charged. Apparently a standard 2-amp charger is a little strong for these gel batteries.

Working great so far, more amps than standard YUASA. --Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

zeeman
honda305.com Member

Re: cb77 battery

Post by zeeman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:39 am

jleewebb wrote:I found the best price on my Motobat MB9U at Amazon.com.

It comes with a couple of spacers on bottom for other applications which need to be removed for it to fit a CB77.

I bought a battery tender to go with it; they reccomend pre-charging even though it comes charged. Apparently a standard 2-amp charger is a little strong for these gel batteries.

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm

I got this one last spring and its still going strong. It's the correct size and terminal configuration. Not sure where you live, but if you have to store it over the winter, it's important to keep them inside and on a battery tender.

https://www.denniskirk.com/yuasa/conven ... /20551.sku

Our CB77's are pretty unforgiving on batteries. If you leave the ignition switch on by mistake without the bike running, or idle for extended periods with the lights on, you can drain any battery pretty quickly.

3030vision
honda305.com Member

Re: cb77 battery

Post by 3030vision » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm intrigued by the option of using a maintenance free battery for my CB77. Can you give me a sense of what kind of conversion is necessary with this battery? Do you have to modify the wires to connect to the terminals on this battery?

Thanks!
jleewebb wrote:I found the best price on my Motobat MB9U at Amazon.com.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

battery

Post by jleewebb » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:32 pm

No conversion necessary, at least on my bike everything fit like the old YUASA. One thing I've noticed is the terminal adapters can work loose where they attach to the battery leaving you coasting to a stop. It happened to me a couple of times so I got to where I'd carry a 10x14 wrench and the proper allen wrench in my back pocket. I later I put loctite on threads and no problem since.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home