Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Connecting rods

Looking for Bikes, Parts, Etc.? Post it here or try the New Honda305.com Auctions !!!
Jefft
honda305.com Member

Re: Connecting rods

Post by Jefft » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm

G-Man wrote:Jefft

do you have a source for connecting rod rollers bearings? They are 2.5 mm x13.55 I think. Also, how much big clearance is acceptable

They come up on eBay occasionally. I am rebuilding many CB/CL/CA77 and found two sets in a box of rusty parts recently in a barn full of parts in UK.

I don't know if I'll have any spares for the forseeable future but, if you are patient, you'll find something.

These rods were re-claimed in my workshop by bushing the small-ends.

G
Jefft wrote:I’m in the process restoring a couple of CB77 and need a couple of decent connecting rods to work with. I’m prepared to modify them to use oversize pins but I want to start with the best pieces I can find.( no rust and salvageable.) let me know what you have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:47 pm

It's worth mentioning here that oversize pins are available. Standard diameter is 15.0 mm, these are 15.1 mm. They eliminate the need for rebushing but leave the option open. That being said, reaming the small ends is no small job either and of course the pistons will need reaming as well.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Oversize pins,

Post by DJM » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Tim,

I've heard of these but never actually seen them, are they actually STILL available?

BTW, I've had small ends look decidedly second hand in the past but, having cleaned them up they seem to carry on working OK.

Not ideal but perhaps OK for a bike that's not ridden too far or too often?

It seems good to rebuild a motor to better than new spec. but probably not strictly necessary unless you plan on doing reasonable / high mileages on the finished bike.

I've heard of 'show ponies' with no engine internals at all but don't think they should be judged for awards!!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Oversize pins,

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:46 am

Dennis

I have some pins but I think that the temptation to ream them (and the pistons) in situ will lead to disappointment.

What if the bores are already more than 0.1 out of round? Is the clearance for rod end and piston nominally the same? You could end up with an engine that’s more rattly than you started with.

I bought a really nice crank recently that was discarded because the small ends were really loose. A pair of bronze bushes should sort them out.

As for show bikes, don’t get me started. Paint that looks like glass and engine covers polished to a mirror finish. Shiny ness seems to win over original every time.

G

DJM wrote:Tim,

I've heard of these but never actually seen them, are they actually STILL available?

BTW, I've had small ends look decidedly second hand in the past but, having cleaned them up they seem to carry on working OK.

It seems good to rebuild a motor to better than new spec. but probably not strictly necessary unless you plan on doing reasonable / high mileages on the finished bike.

I've heard of 'show ponies' with no engine internals at all but don't think they should be judged for awards!!
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Oversize pins,

Post by Tim Allman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:04 pm

DJM wrote:Tim,

Real they are! I bought a pair a few years ago but it turned out that I didn't need them.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home